how do you remove the heater core in a 1967 Galaxie ltd and install a new one?

20

Asked by Nov 11, 2013 at 10:15 PM about the 1967 Ford Galaxie

I want to replace the heater core in my 1967 Galaxie, and I want to do it myself and I want to do it right, I don't really want to take any unnecessary parts off that don't have to be taken off so I really need to know the correct way to get the job done.

61,305

Does your Galaxy have Air Conditioning? -Jim

1,265

Get the manual for the car. It will tell you the tricks. Some cars are very easy, especially without air conditioning. Others are almost a nightmare. My 79 Thunderbird, without air, took about an hour. All I had to remove was the glove box. My 89 Grand Marquis was a 6 hour endurance test.

6,235

I've enclosed a pic with directions printed on the pic. Just enlarge it to the biggest that you can to see and read it but just incase I will tell you how too. There is a plate covering the heater core on the far right(passenger) side of the firewall under the hood as in the enclosed photo. This plate is held on with screws. Remove the hose clamps, pull off the heater hoses by twisting and pulling on them, then remove the small screws, They should be 5/16" or 11/32". then pop off the plate with a flat tip screwdriver and pull out the core. Install the new one in reverse order. Good Luck, Kenny/MrBlueOval

6,235

Just Click on the above photo to enlarge it.

20

Jim thanks for your reply yes it does have a/c, and thanks to the other responses that I received from mrblueoval and mike but my heater core is in a very tight spot behind the passenger side front fender well if any of you find out anything please let me know.

61,305

You're welcome. I'll check my 1964 thru '71 Chilton's and let you know what it says. -Jim

61,305

My Chilton's isn't very descriptive. But here's what it says: 1.) Partially Drain Cooling System 2.) Remove Heater Hoses at Heater Core 3.) Remove Retaining Screws, Core Cover, & Seal From Plenum. 4.) Remove Heater Core From Plenum. Sounds like you access the heater core from the engine compartment. HTH. -Jim

10

With A/C looks like a nightmare! I think I have to remove the fender. Any suggestions? !967 LTD, 390.