What is the 79 351winsor HP and how can I get more

Asked by Oct 30, 2013 at 09:25 PM about the 1967 Ford Galaxie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Windsor_engine

1,020

for the money you cant beat nitrous oxide. No internal engine mods,no lose of driveability and an extra 100 horses when you want it

5,965

Changing to a Holley or an Edelbrock carburator with an Edelbrock "Performer" aluminum intake manifold should get you about 25-35 extra horse power. Add an "Accel" Super coil and Accel brand plug wires will get you another 15-20 HP. Adding exhaust headers with dual exhaust and an "H" pipe will give you another 35-40 HP. Adding an underdrive pulley setup will give you another 25 HP. Get rid of the engine driven fan blade and install an electric fan setup and that will give you another 10 or so H.P.. Adding high-perormance Ford GT-40 cylinder heads will give you around 50-75 HP. All these add-ons will increase Horse Power and will also increase gas mileage if you keep your foot out of it but the easiest and most popular add-ons are an aluminum manifold, 4 bbl carb and a set of headers with dual exhaust and free-flowing mufflers for a total of about 100HP. Good Luck, Kenny / MrBlueOval.

1,185

Factory horsepower was rated at 160 for the 351W. That is with the factory 2 bbl carburetor and single 2 inch exhaust. There are things to do for improved performance and fuel economy, though. First, get rid of the single exhaust! It is horrible. Go with a good, mandrel bent 2 1/4 inch dual exhaust with DynoFlow or FlowMaster DeltaFlow mufflers. This gains you about 20 horsepower and 4 to 5 mpg. Second, ditch the 2 bbl carb and intake. Put on an Edelbrock Performer intake and SQUARE BORE Performer 4 bbl carburetor. This gains you about 10 horsepower, 20 lb/ft of torque, and another 3 or 4 mpg. Third, if you are into doing more major work, you can put the late-80s 351W cam and lifters. This gains you about 10 horsepower more, plus a good jump in torque. Keep in mind, this changes the firing order. Do these, and you well easily hit 200 horsepower, and getting on for 400 ft/lb of torque, plus gain you fuel economy. Set up right, you can easily expect about 25 miles to the U.S. gallon out of the car. If you switch to a mechanical AOD transmission (an almost direct bolt in), you can coax an additional 10 mpg out of the old girl. 35 miles to the gallon on the highway is not bad at all.