'65 Galaxie Restore or Hot Rod

Asked by Mar 08, 2017 at 10:03 PM about the 1965 Ford Galaxie

Have 65 Galaxie and been working on it with the old man. It was given to me to do anything I want to with it. I am trying to decide if I should restore it, or go down the hot rod path. It does run and drive, and the body is relatively straight. It is a 2 door hardtop and currently has a 390 and "Cruise-O-Matic" transmission (it is not matching numbers). The interior is in a desolate state, and it needs a paint job. I would just like to know opinions on which path to take. And yes, I know that the decision is ultimately mine. I am just looking for another perspective on the subject.

66,395

You can only be limited by your imagination and your bank account. Maybe you could resto-mod it.

36,845

Agree with resto-mod. Full blown restoration will cost a small fortune and take forever, and it will still not be a numbers-matching car, and if it has no provenance, it won't be worth it. A full-blown hot rod or pro street build will also cost a small fortune and you will never recoup that cost. Amateur hot-rodders and pro-street builders routinely lose money when selling their cars with few exceptions. Resto-mod gives you the best of both worlds. Keep the big block 390, easy motor to build and tons of them out there, get a decent induction setup at any speed shop catalog, replace all of the suspension components especially if they're still original, try to do as much body work, priming and sanding on your own, then get it to a paint shop for a budget paint job. Keep the interior spartan since as you say, it's trashed. Unless you live in the southwest you won't find anything in a boneyard to help you, and restoration parts catalogs are outrageously expensive, so make do with what you have, dress up faded vinyl trim with vinyl paint, or do what pro-streeters do, gut their interiors in favor of aluminum panels or bare metal interiors.

Best Answer Mark helpful