1964 ford galaxy ingnition problem

Asked by Sep 16, 2013 at 10:16 PM about the 1964 Ford Galaxie

have 64 galaxy runs fine. Pulled into garage shut off ok. Now starts fine, let go of key to run position and it quits. Replaced ingnition switch and starter solenoid and it did not help. Anyone have an idea whats up?

25,305

Some of those older cars used a resistor block to lower the voltage passing through the points so they would last longer. Ford used a coil that had an internal resistor but I'm not sure when or on which vehicles. If the starter relay has 4 posts - 2 big ones and 2 small ones, one of the small posts is for full power to the coil when cranking and the other operates the solenoid. Attach a test light to the positive side of the coil and see if there's power with the key in the "RUN" position and the "Crank" position. If there's no power in "Run" you have something causing an open between the Ignition switch and the coil. Fuse, wire or burned out resistor block - I'm not sure.

1,315

Resistor block or coil. In the start position the power is increased to the coil to aid in starting, when in run position it cuts back. Try resistor first as its only a few dollars.

25

Some of those old Fords had an external resistor in the form of a wire attached to the ignition switch. It should be pink, where it attaches to the switch. It goes for a short ways, then plugs into a wiring harness. It eventually attaches to the coil. You can go to Google and download a wiring diagram for your particular car and engine. been there and done that.

5

Sometime the timing is off on a FE block Ford Galaxie, or (still on the FE block) the points are bad and the spark plugs are still giving a spark, but the points aren't transferring the power so it is not turning over and that would direct it to the points being bad.