How do I remove the rear seats on my 1964 Ford Galaxie 500

Asked by Oct 03, 2012 at 10:57 PM about the 1964 Ford Galaxie

I am trying to remove the back seat to my Ford galaxie 500 so I can get my trunk open from the inside.

6,565

It should be an easy task, Sit on the back seat on either side, grab the front of the seat cushion towards the top of the cushion and pull back towards you as you pull up at the same time. That should make the bottom cushion pop up. After you do that, remove the bottom cushion from the car and look towards the bottom of the seat back, you should see a couple bolts with big flat washers over a 1/4" thick "U"shaped rod coming down from behind the seat, , probably 1/2 inch or 9/16" head on the bolt. Remove those bolts, there should be one on each side and the seatback should come loose from the body, then lift it straight up and it should be free from the body. I believe that now you should have a 3 foot wide by 18" high opening to crawl through into the trunk, Hopefully the trunk is empty,LOL !!! . The seat brackets might be a little different that what I explained but should be similar enough for you to figure it out. The bottom cushion bracketry are pretty much all the same so pushing in and up should work on the bottom cushion. Bring a droplight because it's gonna be awful dark in the trunk. I think you'll also need a big long flat tip screwdriver and maybe a visegrips or channel-locks to pop the latch rod from inside. It's been a while since I've been in the trunk of a '64 Galaxie, but my '69 Galaxie was pretty much the same and I redid the back uphostery on that one a few years ago so I had the back seat out of the car.. Good luck, let me know how it comes out for you. Kenny/MrBlueOval..

Thanks Kenny! I'll give her a shot tonight!

Hi i had the same problem , solution , remove the drivers side tail light (7 screws) then with a long arm you will be able to reach the trunk lock lever. It worked for me. Good luck