What is my engine?

Asked by Dec 24, 2010 at 09:24 AM about the 1964 Ford Galaxie

I've got a 1964 Galaxie Vin 4N62X112054 indicating 352 2bbl.  The original owner was a family friend and bought the car new and drove it until he died in the mid 80s.  I have all of the service records from oil changes, rotations, and minor repairs.  What's odd to me is that the car has a 4bbl carb.  The owner was not the sporty type and did not likely add this and there is no record in the papers.  The carb has a tag with Ford script and C4AFR A 3 K D.  The only engine numbers I can read are on the heads C1AE 609DA.  The guy told my dad that when he bought the car, the sales guy said it was the fastest he'd ever sold.  Of course this isn't particularly useful and could have referenced 64 galaxie in general.  The car was bought in Pendelton, SC. Thanks for any help or suggestions.  Regards,  Vandy

if it is the XL,it could be the 427 that ford put in them,take it to your mechanic,he can tell you what you have by looking at the motor,the 352 was a 2bbl factory carb,unless it was ordered with a 4 brrl.the 8th digit in the vin,is a 2bbl.

If the valve covers are blue and say FORD on them, then it's a 352. If they are gold and say THUNDERBIRD on them, then it's a 390.