1963 Ford Galaxie 500 RPMs Rolling

Asked by Jun 05, 2015 at 02:26 AM about the 1963 Ford Galaxie

I bought a 1963 Ford Galaxie 500 with a 289
engine and 26,000 miles from my
grandfather's estate and I have been
experiencing the RPMs rolling up and down.
I had it fixed for a little over 1 day after I
used sea foam to try cleaning out any built
up carbon, and the car ran like a dream.
What can I do to fix this problem
permanently? The plugs have been
replaced, the carb was rebuilt and I took it
off and had it cleaned...

116,005

Check for vacuum leaks, on an engine that old it is possible that the intake gaskets are bad, also check the distributor, make sure that the distributor shaft is not loose in the main body and the breaker plate is not causing what they call point bounce, that is when the points start to open the spring tension on the points causes the plate to move sideways changing the dwell as the engine is running, next check the vacuum advance unit, make sure it pulls on at a steady rate, not just 1 full jump when vacuum is applied slowly. Then there is the problem with today's fuels and older engines, your engine was designed to run on leaded fuel, and that fuel is long gone, so unless you get the heads modified to run unleaded fuel you need to run a fuel addiative known as a lead substitute, if this 289 is the high performance one then it likes high octane fuel and back then it was a rating of 101 and that is also no more so along with the other addiative you will have to add some octane booster to keep it from pinging under acceleration. The one good thing you did was rebuilt the carb, so now it can handle today's fuel, now you should replace all of the rubber fuel hoses with the new multi fuel rated hoses. I hope this information was helpful and you find your problem quickly.

vacuum leak. hes right

121,045

check the lean idle mixture if no vac leaks are found.