help!! 63 ford galaxie 500 with a 352...wont start

5

Asked by Oct 20, 2014 at 08:27 PM about the 1963 Ford Galaxie

help!! 63 ford galaxie 500 with a 352...ran on Saturday but now she wont. new plugs, wires, distributor, fuel pump,fuel tank, fuel lines, timing gear and chain, battery, carb, water pump. she will initially start and run for a min then dies out (sputtering badly) cant get her to stay running by giving gas, then on multiple attempts to restart she tries to run then wont and also get popping from carb. compression is good, coil is good, getting fuel. my only conclusion at this point is either head gasket or intake gasket. there is no oil in water or vice-versa. any help is greatly appreciated.

58,555

Check the timing,sound,like it may be out.

5

Can't get it to run long enough to check it..also just put in New timing gears and chain and had it timed just right. It did start today for just a min then died out again but it was smooth while running.

58,555

Something may have jumped on the timing even thoe you had it set,if you have fire and fuel,it,s all in the timing of them going together to make it run.

78,415

Could be your condenser, or the new distributor is junk, check for distributor shaft play and the breaker plate for excessive movement when the points open, always carry a set of points and condenser with you, if yours is like mine old 352 you'll go through 2 sets of points to 1 set of spark plugs.

10

Fortunately, this car is of fairly simple design. I always like to work my way through with the simplist solutions first. 1. Do you have a strong spark? Pull out a spark plug & examine its condition... have someone crank the engine & look for a strong spark. If weak or no spark, check points for cleanliness & adjustment. 2. Is it getting gas? Check for smell of gas.... floats can stick and carb ports can get clogged 3. Compression - borrow a compression testor from your local auto parts store (O Reilys has free tool loans) 4. If you suspect valve/ignition timing problems, You can remove a spark plug and put a thin dowel or pencil in the top of the cylinder and measure where it is TDC (top dead center). Keep in mind that in a 4 cycle engine there are 2 TDCs for each cyle. Good luck & let us know what you find

10

Further clarification for # 1, if no spark can also be poor connection, bad coil, or even a bad condenser.

5

Well...upon further and deeper investigation we have pulled to motor. The cam is totally eat up. Ordering a rebuild kit soon. Overall everything but the cam is in excellent condition. Hopefully will have her back up and running in a few weeks.

10

Wow! So much for simple solutions..... While you have it open, check the oil ports and flush them if you can. Reduced oil pressure could also be a problem.

25

My 352 was even worse than tennisshoes for burning up points. I finally converted it over to electronic ignition, with the hotter coil . The kit will fit right in your new distributor.