how do you replace a heater core on a 1963 ford galaxie

30

Asked by Sep 30, 2014 at 11:31 PM about the 1963 Ford Galaxie

62,115

You will have to remove the dash to do this,it is a very tuff job,even for the best mechanic.

30

the car does not have a/c

62,115

I could be wrong if you have this under your hood,may get lucky and just remove this to get to it.

40

You do NOT have to remove the dash! What kind of advice is that?!From the engine compartment fire wall, remove the three screws/bolts that hold the under-dash heater box assembly. But don't forget to remove the inlet and outlet hoses at the firewall first, noting which one goes where. Some guys drain the coolant from the engine first but it is not necessary. Some fluid will drain from the two hoses, so tie them up above the drain level. Place an old towel or something under the car to catch spilled fluid. Then, under the dash, carefully detach the oval shaped accordion style fresh air connecting collar from the right side top of the heater box by pinching the ends of the spring clamp and lifting it off the heater box flange. If this collar connector is deteriorated, it should be replaced. They are a bit pricey but available. Mine was nothing but dust and duct tape due to the miserly, moronic nature of the car's previous owner. Do it right and replace it if it is worn out. At the heater box, carefully disconnect the air hoses that go to the windshield dash vents. The are originally connected by two push/pull pins. Pull the box back and then rotate down to the floor. Place a towel or other absorbing material on a plastic bag or other plastic material on your carpet to catch spilled or dripping fluid from the two core ends that the hoses were connected to under the hood. Remove the cover and carefully slide out and remove the old core. There should be a couple of foam or rubber cushions that hold the ends of the core in place. They will come out as well, and should be reused with your new core. In a 1963 Ford Galaxie this is the procedure. I have done it. Be care not to tear off the electrical wiring that powers the heater and the cables that operate the little door flaps. You may want to disconnect these as well to make your job easier.

10

Kegis138 inspired me to do it myself. I am not and do not claim to be an auto mechanic... I can change oil and plugs and simple stuff, but his tips were spot-on and in a couple hours I had the new heater core in my treasured 64 driver. Thank you and happy motoring.