Speedometer Cable

Asked by Sep 28, 2013 at 01:15 PM about the 1963 Ford Galaxie

Hi-
My 63' Galaxie speedometer needle jumps around or simply does not work at all. The cable is fairly new (previous owner) and I'm thinking it needs lube, but when I detached it from both ends, the cable would not slide out. Is it supposed to? Am I supposed to remove the spline that feeds into the transmission shaft (that doesn't seem right)? It would seem that is the end to pull from... Also, will any graphite cable lube do?
Thanks

102,115

It should pull out from the speedo end, there is a special cable lube for speedo cables should be available through a parts store. I've used White Lithium grease spray with good results.

Thanks for your answer, but the cable has a large plastic spindle attached at the trans end. It doesn't look like it is meant to come off.

102,115

I believe you are talking about the speedo driven gear on the cable housing at the transmission, you cann ot remove the cable from the transmission end, there is a small keeper ring at the speedo end that will prevent it, if the cable is binding in the housing and cannot be removed then you will have to replace the complete speedo cable, most auto parts stores will have it in stock or can order it usually overnight, just make sure there hasn't been a transducer installed in the speedo cable system somewhere. But if your speedo sometimes just stops working, you may have a speedohead problem or a speedometer drive or driven gear problem.

I had my cable break inside the cable housing. Remove the assy from the transmission and from the speedometer. Replace the new cable assy, and install grease inside the cable assy. You can purchase a new assy. from most companies on the computer and order the tube of grease with the cable assy. Usually about $30.00 plus shipping. Make sure you get the correct length of the cable for the year and tranny. for your year car.