would you know where I could find the material used on the inboard side of the firewall, I'm starting to put to gether a 72 gremlin x and would like to clean this up

Asked by Apr 12, 2013 at 09:54 PM about the 1972 AMC Gremlin

garden variety hardboard as I recall, used to own a '73 gremlin, took my driver's test on this one, and it weren't nothing special~ but meticulously trimmed to size with a bow saw could be done with NEW materials instead of N.O.S. which has already begun returning to the soil as we speak~

there are advantages to the newer designs, like a STEERING dampener would be nice, to stop "death wobble" what used to happen whenever we drove over railroad tracks, NOT power steering, but a ration of turns for this old fashioned worm-and- sector steering design, blocks were reject blocks from other auto makers, my aunt dorothy worked at the plant at Kenosha before they closed~

What? Not sure if I asked correctly, as the fire wall in this gremlin is covered in some type of batt felt looking material. I suspect for sound isolation as well as heat isolation. Most of it has been removed at this time and want to replace it prior to installing new floor carpet. Thanks

7,895

I would use Dynamat or one of the other new materials. Much more effective than the OEM stuff from back in the day.

Best Answer

the rear window just fell off on the freeway, now why did this happen? they were too cheap to make a hatch and the window was the rear door. cheap cheap cheap

Honestly I cannot recommend this car...not for drivin', as a make out vehicle for inspiration point...okay, but this one is "unsafe at any speed" as nader put it regarding the corvair (which I disagree, if used to rear power is totally under control, if you know what you're doin')...and the doors do not close properly no matter the amount of bending usin' your jack~

test drive a MINI. They're cool and kinda old timey and chicks love 'em~