2004 explore won't start. anti theft light flashing very fast and it won't crank. What could this be?

Asked by Sep 08, 2013 at 01:48 PM about the 2004 Ford Explorer

new battery put in and when i touch the negative and positive on the starter it will begin to crank but won't turn on completely. all fuses and relays are good. fuel pump sounds fine.

112,085

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234975 --- not sure if this will help but seems to have some useful info about the pats system

112,085

Found this also. It is a response to a 2004 not starting after a battery change. Blinking light. --------- pelms001 turn your key forward 8 times. stop on the eigth in the run position. the truck will make lock noise's by itself. this is good. hit the button on each key transponder and turn key off, if you did it correctly then it will make the lock noises again. take one key at a time insert them in the ignition into the run position. watch the red blinky light (should be solid now till its out) till it goes out (about 3 to 4 seconds) put other key in and do the same. Start your rig... good luck

470

Exactly What Do You Mean When You Say... hit the button on each key transponder and turn key off ? ... I Do Have A Remote To Unlock The Car Also. Can You Please Help Me To Under Stand What You Mean Please? Thanks

210

It worked Dandyoun!!! Thanks. Exactly like you said, put the key in the ignition, turned it on and off, then on the 8th turn to on, the Theft light stayed on, then turned off. I pushed each button on my keyfob including the Panic (kind of scary because it might not go off, but it did), took the key out, put it in the ignition and started it right up. Took key out again, put it in and started up. Problem gone. Man, I was going to have to have this vehicle towed about 30 miles, and I tried all kinds of stuff posted in this forum. Called a couple Ford Dealers who had no clue about this reset method. I knew it had to have something to do with the battery, because this all started when the battery went dead.

190

What do I do if I lost the remote

190

Can I try something else different without the remote if it was lost?

10

Even you buy new key doesn't work properly anything can find what is the problem? I tried to relearn the key fobs duplicate from part source doesn't work but the ford says need to change the computer but I can't change it bec. It's too expensive I'm looking for a good electrician his name is tom and I buy the truck from hi way 7 and younge st. He knows about my truck.call me at 12895009878 or 19052350981 if someone know a good electrician for a car

20

Sandra answered 2 years ago A SOLUTION!!!!!! THIS WORKED FOR US TODAY! Try turning the key and moving the shift from park to drive and back. Then try starting it again! It should start. We were ready to call a tow truck before trying this. It worked. Saved time and money!