Camshaft

50

Asked by Sep 02, 2016 at 10:57 PM about the 1976 Ford Torino

I have a 1976 Ford Torino with a 351w it has
a single plain intake manifold a 600 cfm
carburetor and long tube headers I want to
install a performance camshaft that gives
me the most power with out changing
everything

104,335

With a automatic your really restricted on what kind of cam you can use. I had some good luck just changing the timing set to an interceptor gear set, it really helped the power output. I had a 77 LTD with that engine, and after clearing the catalysts and dealing it out and with the timing set changed, it performed fairly well but still just didn't have that snap to it like an old 352 had or the fuel mileage. I think the real problem was the dished Pistons, that really lowered the compression, but at the time that was all they could do with the fuels the way they were, unleaded was still fairly new and the emission controls were getting more and more restrictive. So if you still feel like you want to change out the cam and lifters get an RV grind for automatic transmission, it will still give you a good idle for your tranny and a better bottom end power. But of course anything you do, fuel mileage will suffer. HTH

28,025

I currently have a 75 Torino (Elite) with the 351W. You aren't kidding Tennisshoes about Fords (and the rest of Detroit) having to dramatically lower compression ratios to work with unleaded fuel. I've read they had to go as low as 7.5:1 to prevent knocking. sbc87 you may want to consider more than just a cam and intake, and include pistons in your plans.

50

I would like to change the pistons but my funds are a little low