My Torino will be running then all of a sudden it dies and there is no power to any lights?? Coil, solenoid?? 351m Thanks

20

Asked by Aug 16, 2015 at 04:54 PM about the 1976 Ford Torino

59,205

Check all the battery cable connections. Also check the wiring down by the starter. Make sure all the connections are clean and tight. Same with the alternator and voltage regulator connections. HTH. -Jim

20

Ya I have, other than the starter. Just dies then without touching a thing, all the lights will come on again? So I thought maybe something's getting to hot?

59,205

Could very well be. Usually a catastrophic failure such as this where you have nothing, no lights, wipers, radio, etc. is going to be battery related. But even if, after it's running, a bad battery connection happens, it should still run off the alternator. At least until you shut it down. HTH. -Jim

20

Maybe the alternator has a reaccuring issue maybe? I ran it with just the alternator, but maybe there's an issue there or would it run off the battery anyways? Sorry for all the questions

59,205

That's ok. I wish I could say for sure what it is. Something is definitely getting hot and breaking a connection. What I'd suggest is when it quits use a 12 volt dc test light and, starting at the battery, work your way into the car. See where you lose power. It's probably going to be at the starter solenoid, starter, or alternator. It could even be a bad connection at the fuse box under the dash. HTH. -Jim

20

Thanks so much!! I appreciate the help

59,205

You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim