1970 Ford Torino Covertible

Asked by Feb 14, 2015 at 11:53 AM about the 1970 Ford Torino

We have a 1970 Ford Torino convertible, purchased in 1971. it probably needs a new
engine, brakes and other repairs, as it has not been driven in many years. We'd like to
have it repaired to enable a grandson to drive it to a nearby college. We remain very
attached to this car, but wonder if it would be worth the cost of repairing it.

23,055

If he needs a car for commuting back and forth to school this is not it. For one it would destroy the value of the car, which should, if anything, be restored and treated as a classic auto. Restore it and save it as a graduation gift, unless you have money to burn and can treat an old muscle car as a daily driver. I guess it really comes down to the personal responsibility level of your grandson, but having gone to college I can tell you there is a lot of car theft/break-ins, the parking lots are packed with students playing bumper cars, the miles I put on my college beater were hard miles indeed.

63,015

Definitely worth the cost to repair it! But I agree with Ken. Not as a daily driver for a college kid. Since you've owned the car since it was only a year old you probably see it as just an older model second hand car. The truth is this car is a desirable antique/classic car! If left in the parking lot of a college I can almost guarantee that it will be stolen. Especially if it's equipped with the V8 429 engine! My suggestion is again, as Ken said, have it restored and make it his graduation gift or have it restored and will the car to him. By the time he gets it, in either of these cases, he'll be older and responsible enough to appreciate and take care of the car as it should be appreciated and taken care of. HTH. -Jim