Can anyone help me decode this VIN? (1970 Ford Torino) 0A34H282630

Asked by May 20, 2013 at 07:36 PM about the 1970 Ford Torino

Basically I have two concerns or issues. One is this truly a Torino or is it a Fairlane? And
is the 351 a Cleveland or Windsor. Just bought this car so please be gentle to this

I don't believe cars of this vintage had seventeen digits

Your probably right, sorry, here is what your looking for.....

Thanks Tom. I neglected to mention that I'm an idgit. I tried that Site and I couldn't figure it out. I was hoping someone on here might know this stuff like the palm of their hand...but I do thank you.

Ok, your Vin has an A, so it was built in Atlanta, The 34 means you have a Torino Sportsroof, "H" is 351 -2V engine. The last numbers are the number of the vehicle as it rolled off the assembly line for that model year.

Best Answer

Okay-now I'm really pushing my luck-is this a 351 Cleveland or Windsor? Tom you've been a big help!

I found this... "on the option list it could have resulted in the buyer receiving either the 351W-2V or the 351C-2V; both shared the same power rating and VIN code." I would think you would need to inspect the block for some serial numbers to determine and that's a whole other question.

203,805 more confusing.

You've been a terrific help, Tom. The car currently has a 4 barrel carb on it-but the VIN tells us that it was a "2-V" am I mixing up my term? (I did mention I'm an idgit) So, I'm assuming the carb was upgraded to a 4 barrel later in its history?

Don't bother with serial numbers on an older (or even a newer) Ford - they don't exist - casting numbers, but not serial numbers. Look at the fuel pump on the right side of the block - 2 bolts vertical - 351 Cleveland / 2 bolts horizontal - 351 Windsor. There are other tell-tale signs but that's the easiest.

also check the spark plugs...if the are at an angle its a windor if they are straight out then its a clevland. also the Windsor is a 90 degree engine the clevland is actually like 92 degress. just a touch wider than the windors