Possible alternator issue

Asked by Jan 12, 2016 at 07:42 AM about the 1969 Ford Torino

The alternator is sqealing something fierce.  A friend helped me tighten up the belts.  It still sqeals.  We don't observe any slippage.  The alternator is very hot to the touch.  There are three belts total (power steering and AC).  Parts are all new.  I did not install them.  The issue started this past weekend.  It is cold here, and damp.  The car is stored inside, but the garage is not climate controlled.  I'm trying to run it once a week.

In addition, when we ran it yesterday, the exhaust on the driver's side was also blowing out a bit of oil....  

I'm a newbie, and my husband is not a car guy.  Any info will be appreciated!

246,375

The alternator bearing in the pulley could be worn causing the noise. Don't replace the alternator till you verified it is the pulley making the noise. You can remove the belt and spin the pulley's by hand with the engine off to check for resistance and free spinning.

72,155

The belt may be contaminated or glazed from slipping. Probably replace the belt and just spin the alternator to check for smooth rotation, and listen for any noise from the bearings. The bearings normally do not go, but they do. That belt needs to be very taunt. Also clean the pulleys with some break clean. The oil thing, well, probably a little seepage threw the valve guides and seals. You could put a seal softener in the oil, this would help.

72,155

Oh ya, alternators do get hot.

The guys in the Torino club are saying the same thing. The alternator is too hot to touch after only a few minutes of running. I'm going to contact the guy that did the rebuild to find out if the alternator was new or refurbished. He's been great to work with actually. I think there was so little time between his restoration and my buying it, that the bugs weren't all apparent (plus he's in AZ and I'm in MI.... very different climates).

72,155

I am located in the Upper Peninsula of Mi. The alternator may be working a little harder depending on the condition of the battery. They make a battery tender to keep charge in a battery while sitting. As long as the alternator is not putting out more than 14.7 volts, it would be fine. If more than the 14.7 volts, it would be overcharging and cause the alternator to be hotter than normal, & overcharging the battery. You can check it there with a digital multi-meter set on DC volts and check across the battery post.

49,195

Rowefast, you are a Yooper? I have been to Escanaba, pretty up there...... To the original poster, I think something is wrong with your alternator. A bearing issue or something else that is causing too much friction or too much current to flow.

72,155

Good morning to you Bob. Yes that is exactly where I am at. Escanaba, and sitting here at 10*

49,195

I used to haul culvert ends and made a trip to the culvert place up there about 15 or 20 years ago.

72,155

Bark River Culvert.

49,195

Yes, they also had a place in Green Bay that I traveled to somewhat frequently.