Need help with a Marti Report

Asked by Sep 11, 2011 at 10:02 PM about the 1968 Ford Torino

I just got my Marti report and would like more information as to what it means.
We got it from the original owner who claimed to have bought it new in from a dealer in Tampa in 1970 even though it is a 68.  All the options listed are still on the car.
We have had the car 20 plus years and drive enough to have fun with it.
Serial Number 8A42S100054
1968
Built at Atlanta
Torino GT 2-Door Fastback
390-4V Engine
54th Ford vehicle scheduled for production at Atlanta
63D Torino GT 2-Door Fastback
T Candyapple Red Paint, Ford #2008-A
8D Red Vinyl Bucket Seats
04G Scheduled For Build: July 4, 1967
89 Transportation Services Ordering District
7 3.25 Standard Axle Ratio
U C-6 Select Shift Cruise-O-Matic
8A42S100054
ORDER TYPE BASIC OFF-STANDARD EQUIPMENT
DSO ITEM #: 0357
DEALER#: 24C208
NORTHGATE FORD INC
TAMPA FL 33612
Your vehicle was ordered with the following features:
C-6 Select Shift Cruise-O-Matic
Convenience Control Panel
Visibility Group
F70X14 Wide Oval Tires
White Sidewall Nylon Tires
Power Side Windows
Console
Power Ventilation
Rear Window Defogger
AM/FM Stereo Radio
Deluxe Seat Belts
Front Seat Headrests
Chrome Styled Steel Wheels
Tachometer
Your car was actually produced on August 18, 1967 -- forty-five days behind schedule.

Thanks for your assistance!
Paul

525

Paul, That's a VERY interesting Marti report to say the least. I can only guess what all your questions are about it...For the most part, logic will answer most of them...some of them may never be answered. Applying my knowledge and some logic, I'll attempt to take a crack at this... As you can see, 00054 indicates that you have one of the very first 68 Torinos built. The order date is WAY early, and the car was special ordered with non standard items. Although the options list is long on this car, I'd assume that the 45 day wait to complete the car was directly related to the NON standard options (Power windows & Front seat headrests). Considering that the car is SUCH an early production car, the availability of the other options (at that time) may also have had an impact on the delay. As a side note, I might add that I once owned a 68 Torino GT built at Atlanta, My car was ordered with bucket seats, even the build sheet for the car indicated it as a bucket seat car. There was a delay in production for the car, and the car was delivered to the dealer with a bench seat installed. Problem getting buckets in Atlanta for early production cars?? I don't know. I just thought I'd share that with you anyway for whatever it may be worth. Build date vs Sell date...Considering the DSO, the EARLY order date, and the long list of expensive options, I can make a few assumptions. This car was ordered by someone in a relatively high position with Ford Motor Company. This was ordered with the intent to SHOW, and not to sell. It was likely to have been used as a daily driver by a Ford employee. MILES were probably put on this car in excess of what would be considered "Normal" for a car for sale (and test driven) on a dealers lot. Once a Ford employee was done with this car (a year after it was "New"), it finally made it's way to a dealership to be sold. It probabally sat at the dealership for a while. Although it had never been sold (and titled) to it's first official owner, it wasn't an "Easy" sale just because it was expensive with lavish options...it was a year old, and it had "Miles" on it. It would have been cheaper for a new car shopper to just buy a new one with 0 miles on it and less heavily optioned. Same situations exist today with cars built for company exec's. In the 60's & 70's, it was more common for these employee cars to just be returned to Ford and never sold outright to the public. Maybe you have one that just slipped through the cracks?....Just a guess. Hope this provided at least a little insight to your questions.

just sucks i can't get a Marti report for my 66 mustang..hope they fired that computer guy who deleted the records...