1968 Torino Pace Car

30

Asked by Jan 13, 2011 at 12:29 AM about the 1968 Ford Torino

Looking for resources on researching the pace car editions of 1968. Anyone know of
vin number ranges or anything specific to these cars to look for? I am looking at
buying a project car that is said to be a pace car edition but was repainted many
years ago. Thanks!

google nascar pace cars.

30

I have tried googling but have not come up with anything other than the types of cars that were used for each year. I do know they made a couple thousand Pace Car Editions of the 1968 Torino GT Convertible that were mostly dealer promos and only 3 that were actually used at indy, 2 x 428's and 1x 390 car, but can not find much about the other editions including the 302 cars.

try nascar .com.

65

The data plate on the driver's door will tell you if you have a pace car. First; the car should have been built in April; they were all built before the Indy 500. Second; all the cars were white with a two tone blue interior. The festival cars were all 302 with automatics. Kevin Marti has all of Fords records and can decode your car and give you a letter of authencity.

10

709 pace car convertibles in 1968 get a marti report for your car

write down the vin #,go to your dmv,they may have a record on it.or google vin #,s for 68 torino pace cars.or go to nascar.com to KYLES CORNER.post what you got with vin#,they WILL get back in touch with you.also it will be on the title if it was a pace car.good luck on your search.

10

I owned 1 of the 428 Indy Cars back in the 70's. It was definitely a 428 Police drivetrain (Aluminum intake manifold bigger Holley, Exhaust was larger than 390 pipes) we found the Ford limo shop build sheet under the carpet. The car had Pearl White paint and the C-stripes were red and blue metalflake tape. I recently came across my registration from 1977 it listed the VIN as 8H43S126288. Other interesting features were handles on the top of the passenger side windshield and under rear side windows , headrest (not standard till 69), and no limited slip differential (frustrating). I purchased the car from my neighbor. who purchased it from Ford in 69 with 3000 miles on it.

10

I have a 1968 Ford Torino Pace car convertible dont know the vin ranges but if you would like to check it out the car is for sale and on car and buyer web site. Thank Gary

10

i have a pace car convertible project car for $4000 if interested have marti report for it if interested call tom@330-244- 6606

65

You must have owned one of the actual pace cars. Do you have any photos and know where the car is now? The VIN number on your car is much lower than mine. Very interesting!

30

That is awesome. From what research I have done, they only made 1 428 car and 2 390 cars as actual pace cars. What happened to the car????

30

Sorry, 2 428's and 1 390!

525

Hello all, I stumbled on this site by accident while looking for something elce. Brought me to this post so I decided to join and reply to this... Several pieces of info here are incorrect, (some ARE correct). First, Not several thousand built, 709 is correct. Not all promotional Pace cars were built in april, Mine was built on May 4th....I've seen (with my own eyes) a car that was built on the day of the race (Marti report verified)....Therefore, that car never made it to the dealer that ordered it untill after the actual race ended. The ONLY piece of information on the door tag that is of any SOLID use is the DSO. It will be at least 5 (sometimes 6) digits long. this does NOT meen you've found a promotional pace car, it just meens that the car was special ordered....indicating that it "Could" be a pace car. A Marti report will tell you for SURE if the car was ordered with the Pace Car option. Without the Marti report, you could look at the build sheet for the car (If you can find one). I'll attach a picture of the bottom (remarks section) of a build sheet to show you what to look for. Sad news (but true)... Kevin Marti doesn't include a breakdown of pace cars in ANY report you can buy from him. The statistics provided are for 68 Torino GT Convertables (5,310 units)...and NOT the 709 cars optioned with the Pace Car package. My car is a 390/C6 car (Most were 302/C4 equipped), Kevin Marti WILL research specific data for you (at a cost of $40 an hour) if you wanted to know how rare your Pace Car is in relation to the OTHER 708 cars. I don't have this specific data, but fair estimates based on known data indicate that about 90% of the 709 cars were 302/C4 cars. ALL the cars were dealer ordered, meaning that the dealer checked all the option boxes, most cars were "Bare Bones" as far as expensive options were concerned, The dealers only optioned them as they thought they could sell them. My car sat on a showroom floor for over 3 months B4 a customer coughed up the cash to buy it. (It was "Pricey" with the 390 compared to a 302, and it had a few other options $$) Hope this helped...

10

The 68 torino gt convertable was the pace car and there were only 709 prmo packages from the dealers built with the pace car packages ! Ford motor co says this also Matrix report I have one of the 709

pic please

10

I owned the original pace car purchased in 1971 in Columbus, Ohio. The car was the actual pace car driven in the race and then later driven by Paul Newman in the movie Winning. Being only 18 years old and not realizing what I had, and not being able to afford 8 mpg gas, I traded the car to Midwest Volkwagon on Kennear Road in Colmbus for a 1973 Super Beetle. The car had the 428 and also had handle below the rear side windows, hood pins, and flad ooles maounted to the rear bumper. I have kicked myself thousands of times for letting the car go. No idea where the car is now but a friend of mine saw it for sale on a used car lot in Columbus several tears after I sold it.

30

OMG, that is amazing you had it but unfortunate you no longer do, don't beat yourself up over it, enjoy the memories!

I live in New Zealand, and own a 1968 Gran Torino GT Convertible in Sherwood Green with Black Upholstery, Bench Front Seat, 302-C6. I would love to know how many of the 5317 produced were in these specs? I have looked online, and most of the cars I have seen, apart from Indy Pace Cars, have all had either 351 or 390 motors, with Bucket Seats and T Bar Floor Shifter? My car is completely original and un-molested, and I believe it to be the only one like it in New Zealand? Any information will be greatly appreciated at Thasnks

10

Do a google search for Kevin Marti. He has all off Ford's records and can decode your serial number and door tag.

Can anyone help me,I have a 1968 Torino GT 428 R code convertible,Im wondering if this is one of the original 1 of 2 pace cars used at Indy.Does anyone have the vin number or a way of finding out if my car was the one on the track.The story goes it was a pace car,then was bought by merkel Ford for their race team,it was painted black with a black top and remains that to this day,its been a very well kept drag car since new and has to my knowledge never been registered for the road.The vin number is 8h43r150631

10

From things I have read, one of the pace cars was used for drag racing. I also read it had a 1969 grille and tail lights to compete as a 69. You need to have a Marti report ran. He has Ford's records and would make it official.

marti report has been done it is one of the 2 cars and yes it has the 69 tail lights and grill..my big question I guess is if it was the actual one that paced and how could I get the proof if so.

even though it has been a race car since new,it raced in the stock class,retains its original engine..intake..carb..everything as new it has a 5000 stall converter gear change and tune.. runs high 11's all day long.

10

Ithink the two actual pace cars were identically prepared. I have never seena picture with the two cars together so I'm not 100% positive there were two? I asked the Museum if they had a 1968 pace car and they do not. I sent a letter to Bobby Unser thinking that maybe he had been awarded a pace car for winning the 500, he said he does not remember what happened to the car. The pace car had a extra antenna on the driver's side front fender but I would say the backup car probably did too. Does the car still have the blue interior? The seats should have headrests and there should be grab handles for extra rear passengers.

the dso on the car is 150561

10

I owned the 68 Pace car that the Merkel family had.It was according to Marti one of two "dealer ordered 428CJ- C6 cars NOT the pace car at the track.I sold it last August.I raced it in NHRA Stock eliminator for 35 + years.

65

I think your VIN# is too high to be built before the race and be the actual pace car. What date did the Marti report say it was built?

525

The Vin # 150631 would place production somewhere in the first week of may, possibly around the 5th or 6th (??? Marti report would confirm)... so that Vin # would definitely be before the race. KNOWN Marti reports on dealer ordered pace cars show Vin #'s around 150000 being May 4th Production, and 156000 being May 10th production.... this is what I base my guess on. Race date has no meaning for Pace car production date, at least as far as "Pre" dating the race. I have knowledge of 2 cars that were produced the day of the race, and ONE car that POST dated the race by 8 days. It wasn't even scheduled to be built until June 1st, but was 7 days behind schedule. More of these Post-race day cars may exist, but I have limited records on hand to verify this. The DSO of 150561 is the Newark NJ ordering district... putting this car pretty far from Indy even though it predates the race by a few weeks. Would like to see a copy of the Marti report on this car if you don't mind sharing? Basic info like this (on all pace cars) is helpful to many who own them and share their good fortune.... like myself. Can you post a picture?

65

My car was built April 3. The VIN# is 142xxx. The parade cars and pace car were at the track early for promotional use. The photo shop on the second floor of the museum have several pace / parade car pictures.

Is there a concourse judging community for this car? I am thinking of purchasing one that needs restoration.

525

There is the Fairlane Club of America. Several FCA members have these cars and can share info with you about them. There is a cost to join and it allows you to use the club website and access info not available elsewhere. You can join online at their website home page.

I ,too have a pace car with vin starting 142*** which I am informed was a car used for official work at the track to do with officials, press etc

I believe I have one of the 709 Pace Cars. Vin 8H43C142619. With a production date of 15D and DSO 46.

Are you not certain it was made as an Indy pace car, have you had it long etc. Your vin no. is pretty close to mine so I would say there is a strong chance it is a pace car. Do you post/go on any websites where there is any good specific information/people who own other pace cars? I am finding it difficult to find information on them that may be proven plus a lot of different information on figures etc. It would be great to know how many, for example, were used to transport celebrities and how many of the 709 were at Indy for the raceday/other activities such as press work etc. Which engine does yours have and is that the 5th designation of the vin as mine is a F whereas you have put yours as a C?

10

My car was 68Torino GT Pace car,the vin was verified bk Marti's Report as one of two Dealer ordered Pace cars with the CJ engine and he C6 Transmission. I sold it 2years ago to a man in PEI,he has it as a conversational in his bar now!

Is yours the one that was kept as a drag car (looking at your pic) ? That's beautiful spec with the 428 engine, hope you got a good price for that car!! Is there anywhere these cars are discussed in more depth by people who know about them, not seeing much info and bought the car recently, more knowledgeable/hands on with mopar and Olds 442.