What is the length of the pulley belt of an Opel Astra 1997?

Asked by Jul 01, 2015 at 02:21 PM about the 1997 Opel Astra

I have been doing trial and error. 6pk 1600 is too small and with 6pk 1640, it's a bit saggy and makes a lot of noise when I start the car. My car is second hand and its my first car. The mechanic is making me do a bit too much come and go from the shops for this belt. I want to have sure information.

143,275

Whatever size you need, paying a shop/mechanic to replace it relieves YOU of the hassle of trying to find the right one. This is a big pile of baloney, making you run back-and-forth to find it. then when you finally do, he slaps it on in 5 minutes and then wants $100 or so? No way. I will look and try to find it, but felt compelled to say that first.

143,275

Having a bit of trouble. Does your Opel look like this? The Family 1 is a straight-4 piston engine that was developed by Opel, a subsidiary of General Motors to replace the Opel CIH engines for use on mid-range cars from Opel/Vauxhall. The parts suppliers don't list Opel, but I have not given up

143,275

Sorry, no success. Even ran across an e-how, a usually reliable site, that says , quote; "ANY VEHICLE with a serpentine belt has an automatic tensioner...." simply not true. Some have a pulley that is tightened by a bolt with a lock-nut, no spring

Thanks for your efforts...

The mechanic as well the previous ones surprisingly were missin one pulley while trying to fit the belt. Finally he understood his error and we were able to fit it in with 6pk 1770. Its a bit slack. 6pk 1760 would as well. Meanwhile I had already bought a belt of 6pk 1625 as his previous diagnostic said that 6pk 1640 was slack!!! Thanks God, that nightmare is over now.