Overheating problem

Asked by Aug 19, 2009 at 08:18 PM about the 1990 Acura Integra

I was hoping to get some advice here. We have a 1990 Acura Integra that has an issue overheating. We had it checked out by a mechanic and we had all the necessary parts replaced. A month later, the car began overheating again, so we took it to a different mechanic and explained the situation and he said we might have a slow leak.

Now we're in a tight spot. One of the pipes connected to the muffler is rusted and falling off, so it needs to be replaced. The work will cost $400, but the mechanic said that there is a threat of the master cylinder going out because of the slow leak.

Would somebody be kind enough to offer their input? I'd really appreciate it.

My question is: Should we pay the $400 to get it fixed? How great is the threat of huge repairs being done (given the information I provided) sooner rather than later down the road?

1,585

First of all im giving you my input from what imformation you gave. You sould bring it back to the mechanic and chew is ass off and demand to get fixed for free untill its not overheating no more. Did the second mechanic even tested the system for leaks or did he just tell you? If it is a small leak. did you notice coolant loss? Get them to pressure test the cooling system and look for leaks. Unless you have a ticket or need to smog the car you dont get to get the exhaust fixed. If your annoyed by the loud noise then go ahead. MASTER CYLINDER?!?! there is no master cylinder in a cooling system. If your talking about the cooling system, hes taking you for all your worth. A leak is a leak. Find the leak and fix it. Unless the system was completely dry for days and you have been driving it around like there was nothing wrong. There is a chance that the bater pump might go out.

I've been having car problem can you give me assistant