My favorite 1.3 1995 pick up truck cuts out after 2-3 miles and then will only start again if you turn the ignition on and off 12 times or so? Anyone got any ideas !

Asked by Aug 08, 2010 at 10:53 AM about the 1995 Skoda Favorit

My brilliant pick up truck keeps cutting out every 2 - 3 miles. It will not start unless you wait 30 mins or turn the ignition key on and half 12 or so times. I have cleaned the injector body with carb cleaner and i have also cleaned the crank sensor.
Surely someone must know what the problem is.
many thanks steve
meganuts@hotmail.co.uk

405

I am guessing here but it sounds like a fuel pressure problem. Have you replaced the fuel filter? How many miles are on it? It could also be a fuel regulator problem...allowing to much fuel to bypass and return to the tank. Turning the key on and off causes the cold start injector (if it has one) to spray some fuel. Maybe enough to get it started. I'm guessing. More information would help. It doesn't sound like a problem with the ignition or crank sensor. I've heard carb cleaner can damage the O2 sensor so I wouldn't spray it in the throttle body while the engine is running.

Hi Thanks for the advice. my skoda truck has done 130k miles. the fuel pump is pumping lots of fuel to throtle body. Please tell me what other information you would like to know. cheers Steve

405

My problem is I don't know enough about the vehicle to help. Even though it may be pumping lots of fuel, there may not be enough pressure at the injectors if the fuel regulator is allowing the fuel to return to the tank. Does it have a bypass line to the tank? What pressure does the system run at? Can you post a good picture of the under engine? Is there another vehicle that has a similar set up? Michael

Hi, I am also having a similar probem with a 1995 1.3 Favorit estate where the engine dies while you are going along then starts again, I wonder if you could let me know what your fault was in the end so I may try this please?