Brakes gets no pressure when car in running

Asked by Aug 22, 2013 at 07:42 PM about the 1994 Acura Legend

Obviously it's a vacuum leak to the brake booster...probably rotten dry cracked black stuff~ will price out a replacement but confirm that this is what the problem is by A.) waving an unlit propane torch above the hose and see if the idle speed increases B.) a vacuum leak will caused increased Idle speed C.) reduced performance as if the vacuum to the fuel pressure regulator had been removed~

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html? _trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=vacuum+booster+hose+1 994+acura+legend&_sacat=0&_from=R40

150

If the car is idling fine.....no different than before you noticed your brake issue.......replace your brake booster!

it SHOULD idle higher than normal with that hose sucking air and stopping the brakes from activating fully~

150

That is not always correct. If there is a vacuum leak on the engine side of the booster diaphragm then yes the idle will be affected. If the check valve on the opposite side of the diaphragm is bad then idle will not be affected because the booster will only have a vacuum leak when the brake pedal is applied!

150

No need to introduce propane if the engine is idling fine without applying the brakes! If you hear a hissing noise inside the car or the pedal is firm (like when the car is off) then your booster is bad. If the pedal goes to the floor then you have a hydraulic leak in the brake system, this can be confirmed by checking the brake fluid, if its significantly low or empty I'd look for a fluid leak. Common areas include the master cylinder and the rubber hoses at all 4 wheels!

take 'er easy 805 really was just trying to suggest a way to spot a vacuum leak....perhaps a cardboard tube would be less dangerous~

150

It's all good.....I would have suggested carb or brake cleaner over propane (easier and more precise) as well. I was just trying to help dabram find his issue with ease, as I am assuming he is not as educated in the automotive world as you and I. As my teacher told me "keep it simple stupid"

....gotten my ass kicked so many times...Sunday mechanic...ho help...tow ins where the customer is Lording above you expecting to get his car fixed and is willing to wait all day until it's done....rough duty~....you'll learn quick in this kind of environment~

timing belt...waterpump...cracked distributor cap....coolant return hose missing...flat tire...dead battery....scrapin' brakes....clutch job...SMOG work

150

I know how it goes.....nothing worse than a customer hovering over you asking every damn question possible, time is money in this industry! I'm happy to help if you have any auto questions

150

At least your stayin busy.....it's dead out here! Turned away 2 engine jobs, one in a 98 G3500 and the other in a Subaru legacy! No money in that.....just a headache!

was only a Sunday mechanic from '93-'96....service writers often lack in a well adjusted MORAL compass and WILL take the wallet please...thank you~

150

hit the nail on the head with that one.....most local and smaller shops wont have a dedicated service writer, rather a service writer that also wrenches or everyone contributes to the customer service side of the business. service writers make their money selling services and all too often they have no idea whats going on with the customers car and will sell jobs that do not need to be done! I used to work in an environment like that and i hated it, i was always having to justify his sales. customers would come in complaining that their car runs rough and he would sell them a tune up when the root cause of the problem was a bad O2 or a dirty IAC. Needless to say he got a lot of unhappy customers especially the ones who were smart enough to ask to see their old parts! I believe in preventative maintenance but this guy would try justifying every unnecessary job as preventative maintenance........he had no sympathy or a soul for that matter! Glad i dont work for that a$$h@!e anymore