Help!!!!

Asked by Jun 15, 2015 at 05:00 PM about the 2001 Audi A3

hi my audi a3 2001 1.8t , i was
driving and next minute i hear
this loud whistle coming for
engine so i stoped the car and
looked and saw that my boost
pipe came off , so i continued
driving slowly to get home and
then the epc light came on and
car went into limp mode , do you
know what i could look at ? to try
fix it

10,515

when you say boost pipe do you mean the turbo? and did it break off or rot off? you can hit up a muffler shop if it needs a replacment pipe but if it snaped out of your turbo then you need a replacement unit.

No just the silicon pipe came off its fixed now , but car in limp mode

10,515

some of the previous codes may be causing the limp mode to continue since the car had such a problem. Do your self a solid and clean your maf sensor and mesh check your air fliter and check all the vacuum lines and crank case hoses. Also have the computer scanned with some rosstech software and you should get any other problems come to light. and it was probably not a good idea to drive it with the turbo malfunctioning it can cause large carbon deposits in the engine from miss firing un proper vacum excetra. A reboot of the computer may fix the issue but will wipe out the existing codes. so i suggest scanning before a clean

Thanks will give it a shot These are the codes that I get 18042- Accelerator position sensor 2 Signal too high 18058- powertrain data bus missing message from instrument cluster 17972- throttle actuator under voltage durning basic setting 17952- throttle valve controller malfunction Any ideas

10,515

i went to look around and it would seem that moisture is your most likely culprit in the ecu. Open it up and look for signs of water and moisture. dry it out and reseal it back up should fix the issue.

10,515

tho i would also check your throttle body and wireing harness for dmg or moisture as well chances are you could also have a faulty throttle body as well since all the codes are aimed towards that part. Clean all your sensors while your inthere with maf cleaner and look for signs of carbon deposits as well.

Okay so I dryed out the ecu nothing happened , but now if I start the car it idles the I press the break and let go the the reves clim an till I press throttel and I noticed this like black water coming out the exhaust, think that might be carbon coming out , how do I clean this out my engine? If it is cause by carbon build up? Thanks again

10,515

the carbon is normal as for the water that's normal as well its pretty common place with a turbo for it to do this. You can use sea foam to clean out the engine or just take it to the dealer and ask for a good carbon clean out. a couple links that may help and will help explain are bellow. I personally never had much carbon issues save for my pcv pipes got clogged from sludge in my 2.8L engine of my 98 audi. Replacing the crank case breather hoses will problem solve the issue if they are all sludged up. but a good carbon cleaning sometimes just needs to be done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS8riAae_bM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugh9vPz2Zd8

10,515

Also a forums board link will help you trouble shoot as well http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5268548-2008-GLI-2.0Turbo-FSI-excessive-carbon-buildup-at-70K

Thanks, its not like a little bit of black water like suff its like spitting out the exhaust

Can to much carbon build up cause EPC ?

10,515

if it constricts enough air flow yes.

Hi so I've had very little luck with my car , I rewired the throttel Body because saw some breaks in the cable and after I did that turned on my ignition and press the throttel and you can hear the trottel body opening and closing , but once you start the car nothing like it stops working again then you leave the car for 10, mins switch on ignition and same thing can hear it open and close antill starting the car and stops working again

10,515

sounds like you broke something. or short circuited the throttle body computer. Never do electrical work with out disconnecting the ground first. The other likely cause is the thortal body computer was already going bad. Try doing a hard restart with your car. Take off both battery cables from the battery and touch um together to discharge the system. leave it for 15 minutes hook it back up and try it again. If nothing happens you most likely need to replace the harness and throtalbody. The flaps sound is the throttle body pc doing some adjustments and preping for running. check your plugs and wires tho since it could be a dirty plug or cloged maf sensor.