Why does my 95' acura legend keep over heating?

Aye Saeteurn

Asked by Jul 20, 2015 at 02:36 PM about the 1995 Acura Legend

So i recent had my car overheat due to
no antifreeze. After that i used water
till it was gone then filled it with
antifreeze. It was fine untill then i
noticed it starts to over heat after
maybe 35 minutes of driving. Its like it
Runs out. No leaks, no check engine
light either. I keep refilling it but it
keeps running out. I think its the
thermostat or the water pump But no
like symptons of a blown head gasket.
What do you guys think? Need help!
Comment, ask. Thanks you guys

How old is your radiator? Could be clogged fins? When did you last replace that?

You shouldn't use straight water in your cooling system.

How many miles are on your car. I imagine that you have replaced the timing belt and water pump at least twice? It could very well be the water pump and if it is, you might as well replace the timing belt again, it's a labor thing and cheap insurance.

Aye Saeteurn

188K on the body and my dad put a new engine in it last september. i thought if the water pump was wrong the check engine light turns on?

Aye Saeteurn

I only used water because it was an emergency. But replaced the water as soon as i got home

Aye Saeteurn

I dont know how.old the radiator is

Bob Beaman

If it is losing water and it is not leaking, it is likely going out the tailpipe. Bad head gasket or cracked cylinder head are the 2 most likely causes. Either have a compression test performed or have the cooling system pressure tested.

First check your oil stick does it look normal or a milky color ? If milky color blown head gasket and like Bob said if steam coming out of tail pipe you have a bad head gasket or cracked cylinder head.

Aye Saeteurn

Oil just needs to be changed no milky color. And nothings leaking. Ill go for diagonostic test then run compression and cooling system pressure tests.

Liz, yes, take your car in for a check up and oil change. Good news on the regular color of oil. If you really got a new engine last year you should be fine. Just make sure that you don't overheat and keep an eye on the timing belt. My advice on your cooling system is, have it flushed out and refilled with the proper mixture once you have determined that all other components are sound. Yes, 188,000 is a lot of miles, but, if you've had an engine rebuild, the only other major component would be a transmission. I had a 1995 Honda Accord, basically the same car, and I can tell you that these transmissions were overbuilt and rock solid. I've heard that cars from 94 to 96 going 300,000 miles on the original transmission. Starting around 1998 and 1999 Honda made the terrible decision to farm out their transmission work to some company that did not build them as well resulting in a lot of Accords having transmission failures early. The year 2000 and 2001 were horrible. Good luck.