Mercedes 280 dies when letting go of key

Asked by Jan 17, 2015 at 05:47 PM about the 1982 Mercedes-Benz 280

I have a 280 Mercedes that starts fine in neutral, but as soon as I release the key, it
dies.  I can get it going, if I put it in first and keep the key turned, but dies as soon as I
let go of the key to change gears.  The fuel pump was just replaced, as was the
thermostat.  It was running fine after it got back from the mechanic, now it's doing the
same ol same ol. It was starting fine and then would randomly die.  The mechanic kept
it for a while and no problems. It also rained really hard last night.  No idea if that is in
the least bit important,

24,785

Might be a worn or bad ignition switch.

Thank you. I was thinking that, or the distributor. The cars old, and there are few of these manual versions around according to everyone I have talked to. Great car to drive. I'll get back with what the mechanic says.