What type of Oil do I use for my Mercedes 280SE 4.5?

5

Asked by Mar 16, 2012 at 02:12 AM about the 1972 Mercedes-Benz 280

495

10-30 MOBILE 1

2,735

You could use an'all singing and dancing with all the bells on' synthetic oil, BUT remember this ... in 1972 when this car was produced Sythetic oils were not around, engine tolerences were far greater than the modern engine etc, unless you have modified the engine a standard 20w50 or 15w40 Classic car oil will be better for your car. Just remember that it is recommended to change the oil and filter every 6 months or 6,000 miles on these older cars.

Best Answer
5

Thanks so much Paul!

2,735

No worries . P.s sweet looking SE. I have repaired one of these a while back and i am an absolute lover of classic Mercs, Fords and anything late 60's and 70's.

5

Thanks Paul! In a little while I am going to have it repainted! Any suggestions? What do you have now in your garage?

10

I ounce worked for a company called Lubrication engineers, they sold very expensive highly engineered lubricants for truck and car fleets. In order to work for them as a sales rep we had to go through an extensive study of lubricants called (tribology) according to that study most lubricants are ashphaltic based. Their products are based on oils from PA called parafin based, on a car that valuable, when completed, you might want to look into a parafin based oil. I drive a modern supercharged Benz and the book recommends Mobil One. Just completed a 5K trip most on I interstates at high speed at night. Did not use a drop of oil,good luck with your car some of the older models are beautiful . I grew up in the fifties and anybody that say's nostalgically," they don't build them like they used to" I answer I'm glad they don't. If I drove an older car from the fifties or sixties on a long trip at the kind of speeds I was driving at, it would have blown an engine.

5

Thanks Mark! I use a new Toyota Camry for everyday use! The 280SE is a weekend car!

2,735

Currently running around in a '95 BMW 318is Coupe, she's showing her age now but with 17" BMW spoke alloys and 235/45 x17 tyres holds the corners like a train on tracks. My wife has a 2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec s, a great sporty hatchback and lots of fun. Wanting to get a MK1 Ford Capri to restore, I had so many as a lad and fancy a project. As for your re-paint I am no expert in these matters, the last spray job I did was in the '90's and I used 2-pack which when cured gives a hardened finish and required very little cutting back.

5

Thanks Paul! Always great to hear from you, my friend!

2,735

Glad to help, i will try to upload some pictures to add to my garage, got most of my car history somewhere on file!!

5

Thanks again, Paul! I will post more pictures too!