I have white smoke coming from the tail pipe, what are the recommended solutions?

Asked by Feb 14, 2013 at 02:43 PM about the 1971 Mercedes-Benz 280

White smoke from the tail pipe. Do I need to do valves and rings or are there other less involved repairs
that can be made ie; change hoses, filters, etc.. The car has 133,000 miles and I have put in a new
exhaust system. Saw on a T.V. show that there might be a crankcase filter which if cleaned could
eliminate or decrease emission. I seek advice

Your car has coolant in the exhaust. This is never good. Now we have to figure out from where. I'd start with the head gasket, but it could be a (god forbid) cracked block. Cracked heads are not as expensive to replace, but we must start small. I can remember an Isuzu Impulse that kept gettin coolant in the oil, turns out the gasket just went smoosh and caused the leak. no prob. changed the gasket $25 and the weekend. big deal....point is may not be that terrible, if we are lucky. Did you look at your crankcase oil to see if it looks like a chocolate mousse?

20,565

,what brand of mousse?

lovely petrochemical mousse served in a dainty cup with a doily underneath, of course.

hey, I crossed three grand. That one about the hummer was murder. those folks were building a scaffold to hang me from--whew, see you've done a grand. will pipe-up if you ask but it's best if we all go honest....honest~