lost keys, cant afford new immobilzer need to bypass somehow

Asked by Feb 16, 2007 at 06:09 PM about the 1998 Acura RL

My customer has a 98 acura rl, and lost the keys.Technically they were stolen from the hospital where he was being treated for cancer.Now the dealer will cut the key no problem with vin# but cant do anything to make it run do to no magic key for the immobilizer.They want $500.00 to replace immobilizer system.Help us please!

14,630

Dear timothy-- Yes, you do have a problem. I remember losing all the keys to a Saab one time and the service department charged us (sales department) $1,000 to replace the immobilizer system. The $500 quote you got from your Acura dealer, therefore, seems like a bargain. Perhaps you could save a bit if you could find a used one. You can find several used Acura parts sources doing a simple search on the Google search engine. And, once you have the new system installed, get an extra key and hide it somewhere to avoid this problem again. Good luck from Bovan.