What maintenance and repair to be expected when buying an old 1984-1989 land cruiser?

20

Asked by Jun 24, 2013 at 10:04 PM about the 1984 Toyota Land Cruiser

What repairs should we expect to be done for us to have the least amount of breakdown
problems?  Any recommendations on identifying if someone's updating/repair job is good
or not?  We are looking at so many of these Land Cruisers and don't want to buy one that
says it is in great condition but wasn't actually restored properly for this type of vehicle.  
Thanks for the help!

264,375

Your best bet is you have the vehicle your interested in inspected by a qualified mechanic, called a Pre-Purchase Inspection. It would be hard for me to tell you which one would be better without knowing the history and maintenance records.

20

That's what I needed to know. Thanks!

195

These trucks will have a 2F, 2H, 3B, 3F, or 12HT engines in them. Everyone of these motors are low revving, low horsepower, high torque motors. I approach every TLC as if it were driven by a 16 year old boy for the past few years... Check everything! Its easy to ruin a, say, 2F, by over revving it. These trucks are for adult drivers only. If the seller is under 50 years old, pass! That being said, they last forever if driven like a Land Cruiser.

435

I agree with PoopyLips- Ha! But being younger doesn't mean it is destroyed. In my experience it is better to spend a little more and get one nicer in better condition and with records. Check and see why they are selling it, a lot of times car has problems and that is why they are getting rid of it. Biggest reason is head gasket, which you'll usually feel a rough start when you very first start it, so i get real nervous if the car is not totally cold when I start it. Now when you get one or if you already have one, I always do on my new cars, is change ALL the fluids! Use better quality fluids and no not mobil 1. I use Eneos oil (best oil!!!) Japanese synthetic. They also have transmission fluid. If shifts a little hard you can always add Lucas, thickens it. So every fluid, air filter, tune up, check brakes, suspension, I always look for the upgrade for those models, since you will probably replacing stuff, why not put improvement parts; I.E. I love 3rd generation 4runners, and they have upgrades where you can put Toyota Tundra breaks on, as well as Tundra struts Bilstein 5100 See what other people have done to upgrade and improve parts. just google 85 Landcruiser modifications, hope that all helps, Also check for rust, Amazon sells a product that turns rust back into metal, so you can paint over it. I have it but not tested it yet, but reviews are 4.5 out of 5, so I thought I'd give it a try.