car doesn't shift into 3rd gear

Asked by Jul 04, 2011 at 05:14 PM about the 1977 Ford Granada

my 77 granada (us) 6 cil automatic doesn't shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. some say it
has to do with the vacuum. What could be the problem?

375

I just had my transmission rebuilt because it would rev really high on most shifts and shifting into second would almost never happen unless I redlined it. Most likely the transmission needs rebuilding. Find a good shop, I paid around 600 for mine.

try changing the filter and fluid.drop the tranny pan,if it has a thick coating of grayish gunk in bottom of it,clutches are burned up.rebuild time.