crown vic speedometer/ transmission problem

40

Asked by Nov 19, 2014 at 09:56 AM about the 2004 Ford Crown Victoria

my 2004 Crown Vic has problem that my mechanic is puzzled on.  The speedometer started jumping wildly....but not every time I drove it. Then the OD OFF light started flashing and the transmission went crazy.  I had to drive home in second....which worked fine.  No speedometer though.  It stayed at 0. My mechanic replaced the speed sensor but that did not fix the problem.  Any ideas?

9,155

is it front wheel drive or rear

40

rear wheel drive

stuck in 2nd gear is the tranny's limp mode. when your speedometer is reading different than your speed it usually means the tranny is slipping . it is slipping so it is turning faster than the drive shaft .

If your mechanic had a reader he woulngt be baffeled. VSS code and both problems..two parts needed. Spedo is geared part driver side tranny easy pull out and replace, fixes spedo and milage reading. Tranny needs a new magnetic vss solinod. On passenger side. Not as easy to reach but both are possible to reach. Get both to fix both problems then disconnect pos and neg terminal cables and touch them together, turn key to on drains computer. Reconnect battery cables. Start car and let idle for five mins dont gas or break peddal or run heat or ac either! Then drive car gentle, realearns gas and air mixture, shifting and more. Drive steady for a few times just regular speeds. Freeway, street, car still has to do other stuff to set all sustems, so dont do this on day of smog test! You wont even know the car is doing this. After reset. I like to let it idle for five minutes look at fuel trims etc. Youll see its working on it for a bit.

I'm have the same problem with my 2004 but it's not slipping it's only drive good when the od light start flashing