How many miles is considered "high" for an Acura TL

Asked by Jan 23, 2017 at 12:05 AM about the 2003 Acura TL

I'm looking at a 2003 Acura TL that has 160,000 miles on it. It's had one
owner, no accidents and regular maintenance. I need a car that will last a long
time, through my college years, without breaking the bank to keep it running
good. Is this the right car for me?

2,480

it depends,this car has traveled 11,5K/year, about average there is more to a car than the motor and the transmission have it checked out by a trusted knowledgeable mechanic. go through the maint records, then there is the price....

175

160K can be used up or just fine- it all depends on if it was maintained. Does it need all new bearings, timing belt, hoses, brakes or did they do everything it needed along the way? Personally, I don't trust cars at that high of miles unless I know the car very well- like if I owned it long before then. Walking sucks.

118,425

Unfortunately you have picked one of the higher cost to maintain Asian vehicles, both Asian and European makes and models have higher maintance costs than American vehicles, with the European imports the highest, if you set on an Asian vehicle stick with a Toyota or Honda, both of those have a slightly lower cost of ownership.

66,555

160,000 miles is high overall miles. If it hasn't been replaced or rebuilt the transmission would be a big concern for me. The Acura TL is a great car, but I would avoid any that have over 75,000 miles on them.

Thanks for all the advise everyone. I'm going to steer clear of this car!

30

I have an acura tl with 160k....never had any major problems...mostly just tires, wipers, and oil changes, and it still runs like the day I bought it. I'm a true believer in the Acura name.

118,425

Acura is just a Fancy Honda.

20

Acura does not have a higher maintenance cost than Honda or Toyota vehicles. Acura is the luxury brand of Honda, and most engine parts and fluids are the same as in a Honda. Shops and the dealer may charge a premium because people do not realize this, or simply do not know. My personal opinion, 160,000 miles is on a higher end. Seeing as most people do not know how to properly 'break in' a car, would be a risk. If the vehicle is mainly freeway vs local driving, chances are the engine is in better condition. Chris fix on youtube provides good information on how to buy a used car. If you are willing to do the research on what the maintenance intervals are for a vehicle, I would find out if the particular vehicle you are looking at went through those maintenance. Like anything, you can't be sure of anything unless you do the thorough research.

60

My 2002 Acura TL just hit 270k and still is running very well

30

my 2006 TL just past 290,000miles , the biggest issue for repair was the bluetooth drain on the system, now disconnect, trying to get just a few more miles out of her.

I'm currently driving a 2002 3.2 TL Type S Acura and she's at 287,518 miles. We just fixed the problem with a cylinder misfire in the engine but that's been the first major problem the car has had. There were two previous owners and runs really well. I would highly recommend this car as Acuras last longer mileage wise, compared to other makes.

To respond to tennisshoes comment, Acura is the luxury brand of Honda as is Lexus of Toyota. The cost to maintain an Acura is less than a Dodge. The parts are interchangeable because of their counterparts. If you want a luxury vehicle stick with these two. Check out this website as well. https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/the-most-and-least- expensive-cars-to-maintain-by-maddy-martin