87 grand am

Asked by Sep 02, 2008 at 07:25 PM about the 1987 Pontiac Grand Am

Hello, I'm workin on an 87 grand am le v6. It runs for about seven minuts an then dies. The first time it happened I noticed the oil pressure reading was very low. I replaced the sensor and oil pressure is reading good now. but it still dies after seven minuts. To me it sound like some kind of theft mode. any thoughts? oh yea after it dies it wont even crank anymore unless the battery is undone.

10,645

Maybe the ECM?

thats what i thought. ok after i got the thing back to the house i noticed that the radiator cap neck is busted. i got it started again and filled the radiator as much as i could. the temp gauge never got to operating temp on the gauge and it died 12 minutes later.it was steaming a little. the fan never turned on. so i'm going to replace the coolant temp switch. does anyone know if the ecm reads the temp from another sensor?

Ok I'm back. fixin cars on my spare time is almost impossible. anywho. i got the radiator fixed up and a new coolant temp sensor. the car ran great and for a longer time befor it freakin died. i pulled the flash code and its a 15. i do not have a book on this car, anyone know what a flash code 15 is on this car?