what causes coolent to get into crank case?

Asked by Jan 27, 2013 at 03:30 PM about the 2006 Pontiac Grand Am

Had oil changed and they said there was water in the oil, what would cause this and how do I repair it?

6,685

A failing head gasket usually causes coolant to get into the crank case or in this car's case, it could also be a failing intake manifold gasket (Common with these cars). It is a death sentence for your engine if you don't get it addressed immediately. I would recommend you get it to an honest mechanic as soon as possible and don't drive it anywhere but directly to the mechanic.

6,685

You can check how much coolant is in your oil yourself.. Make sure you run the engine for e few minutes and then remove the dipstick and the oil looks like a chocolate milk shake then there is too much coolant in there and don't drive it to a mechanic (get it towed) but if there is only little bit at the bottom of the dip stick then it is not absolutely urgent and you can drive it there. Also make sure you top off your coolant before driving.

Especially if the mechanic is 2 blocks away. That make a real difference. If the shop is way across town, or if you live in a place like I do, the mechanic is 50 miles

Do a compression test. This will reveal the culprit, like Joef says THE HEADGASKET is at fault. I've heard of such things when one suddenly switches to synthetic oil, so slippery, slips past the gaskets into the water jacket. If you were handy with a socket wrench could snug the head bolts a bit and see if the leakage vanishes~ most likely the headgasket has turned to mush by now- My Isuzu Impulse had the section of gasket between the timing chain and water jacket missing altogether suddenly. Good thing we caught that one in time.

5,760

Head gasket,intake gasket cracked or warped head, or cracked block could be the problem. A pressre test of the coolent system sould find the problem

5,760

You can allso pull the spark plugs and see if they are all burning the same.

99,235

Lower intake gasket leak is common on the Grand Am V6 engine. Go to GAOwnersClub.com for DIY repair instructions.

Notorious for lower intake gaskets, no PhD required you can do this yourself 4.5 hrs by hand ebolt or reverse torx is the only special tools needed gasket set is 100.00 or so after tax. Good luck hope that helps

Well this is quit interesting actually, 2006? GT sedans were discontinued in 2005, since the G6 had been introduced as a replacement for the Grand Am, so if this is a 2005 the engine is 1999–2005: 3.4L 3400 V6, is this what you are running? Or is this the G6?

2005 Pontiac Grand Am (L61/2.2F); L61 - ENGINE,2.2L,4CYL,MFI,DOHC; LX9 - ENGINE GAS, 6 CYL, 3.5L, SFI, if you tell me which engine you have I'll get you a diagram for what you are needing.Vehicle Makes Pontiac Grand Am 2005,Trim Level GT 2 DOOR GT COUPE GT1 COUPE SE 4 DOOR Gas 6 Cylinder 2.2L Gas 6 Cylinder 3.4L ?? This pic is the 2.2L