Just put on 2nd new starter after store gave me the wrong one for the first replacement.

Asked by May 12, 2009 at 12:35 AM about the 1988 GMC Sierra

Put the second one on but found out fuses outside by the wiper motor
had blown. So replaced 3 fuses there and checked all fuses inside and still
have no power getting to inside.
I have headlights and taillights only.
No radio,power windows or anything else. No starter click all dead.
Are there anymore fuses outside I should know about?

5

check your grounds. check the fuses under the dash and in the engine bay.

Yea Im going to check the grounds coming from the battery. Ive checked all the fuses inside and outside engine bay. They are all ok. Must be something like a ground to cut off so many things. I just don't know why now, right when I put the starter on. Oh well will check ground tomorrow. and see what happens. Man the last time it was a snap to install the starter.

5

get a test light and check the power and ground at the starter itself so you have a definite answer if you are getting power.

Dam found the problem left one of the large wires on the starter off. Thats why no power going up to other devices. There is one wire coming from battery and then a wire goes from there up to a block where other wires come off of that to feed inside. But now I just went to connect up the battery and hooked up the ground then when I hooked up plus side the starter spun up. I didn't have that the last time I put a starter on this truck a few years back. It shouldn't do that just by hooking up the + side terminal??????????????

OK found the problem. Must had the little wire on small termial on start touching. Repostioned the wires and all is ok now. It starts and everything woorks. Man glad to get this over with.

Thanks for the help guys.