where is the fuel pump? No fuel to carberator

5

Asked by Dec 15, 2013 at 10:52 AM about the 1982 GMC Sierra

worked fine before parking it a couple of months ago- starts and runs a bit if I manually put
a little in the carb

101,575

In fuel tank. Did you remove the line from the carb and turn key on to see if any fuel comes out? With it having set you might just have a bad gas issue and not a fuel pump issue.

Condensation in tank if it was not full. Use some alcohol based water remover additive and you might just get lucky. The alcohol will blend with water and burn through.

5

I still think it is the pump (or the fuse, which I have not yet identified)- I have added some fuel (we just had a heavy snowfall and of course this vehicle is my "plow truck")

56,715

If you've got a mechanical fuel pump, follow the fuel line from the carburetor down. It's probably on the right front of the engine block. Sounds like, from sitting, the rubber diaphragm inside the pump has split. Remove the fuel line at the carburetor and crank the engine. See if any fuel squirts out. HTH. -Jim

195

82 the fuel pump is on the right side (passenger) it will be a mechanical fuel pump down under the alt, on the side of the block. AS said to check for fuel. All so check for fuel filters, or inline fuel pump if some one add one to help the fuel draw. Fuel filter not blocked with dirt should be one in carb at the in line, might be one or two more before or after the pump. The fuel line run down the right frame rail to the tank.