My Moms lumina quit running and acted like it was not getting gas, which screams fuel filter or pump my question is the filter in the tank and is it hard to change

Asked by Feb 25, 2007 at 01:31 PM about the 1990 Chevrolet Lumina

17,635

Hello, This is not an easy job. It will require you remove the fuel tank. Here is a detailed article on changing out a fuel pump: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_change_the_fuel_pump_in_a_1990_Chevy_lumina Best of luck! CarGrrl

Best Answer

Quick question, if there is fuel in the fuel rail, does that mean the fuel pump is working?

1,245

yes and no, thier will be fuel there, but it may not be enough pressure

Ok, Thanx. so it goes to say, although its working,it could be doing the job incorrectly(i.e. wrong pressure supply)? So can you fix that problem with out changing the fuel pump but some kind of pressure regulator instead?

1,245

could be a regulator, could be the fuel pump, im not 100% familiar with those systems, your best bet would be to take to to a garage somewere and ask them to do a fuel pressure test... if it has low pressure the 1st thing you should do is try to supply 12v directly from the battery to the pump, to check to make sure its not a wiring issue

Thanks for your input, it helped a lot!