1990 CHEV G SERIES 350 VAN

30

Asked by Jul 15, 2014 at 12:44 PM about the 1990 Chevrolet Chevy Van

Have a problem with stalling. Starts and dies.  Have replaed fuel pump. Have replaced distributor. This van has been just about completely been rebuilt.  Problem was happening in spring.  Mechanic replaced distributor. Now again. Bum distributor? Sensor?
This is getting frustrating as has been into shop 4-5 times for same problem.

30

As an added extra the shop that rebuilt the engine; did various repairs suggested that the manner to test the problem (see if it was a bum distributor) was to disconnect the sensor and see if the van runs steady then. Going to a local shop now. Thanks.

30

UPdate again, Local mechanic tells me now that may be such a simple thing. Oil pressure switch/sensor. When he bypassed this it runs fine. Soooo. We shall see and let you know in case someone else runs into this repeating problem.

30

Waiting for a new oil pressure switch. Running just fine. No stall when this is bypassed. Mechanic says replace this every oil change.

30

New valve installed. Hard to get at etc. Rural area but honest mechanic. Charged me $50 for the part and 2 HOURs labour. Said was a pain to install. Runs fine now.

30

Oh and the mechanic says the old part was likely the original from 1990's. Was filthy.