Engine compartment fires

Asked by May 03, 2012 at 03:03 PM about the 2008 Dodge Ram 1500

Any reported engine compartment fires?  No recent work done on the truck and it ran great.

13,835

This is not a common problem on the 2008 Dodge. Did you find what caused it?

What were the circumstances of the previous problems?

675

There is an 06 at a local junkyard to me that had a fire.

20

mine did catch on fire to in the back of the motor there is a crank shaft position sensor. wen it gets wet it makes a short wen the short gets to hot it catches fire. .... how to tell wen this happens is wen the radio cuts on and off by its self most often the truck will put itself in 4 wheel drive by its self spitting and sputtering of motor and gas smell. this part is about 50 bucks to replace there is a recal on tis see owners manual to fix properly

100

My 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 caught fire last week at 180,000 miles. No modifications made to the vehicle. I drove about 7 miles round trip to the post office and returned home. I parked on the street and went in to make lunch. Sat down and opened Facebook to see a notification from our local page that a truck on our street was on fire. I walked out to see what what was going on and saw the Leander Fire Department putting out the fire in my truck. The Chief seemed to think it started by the master cylinder. I can't imagine what would have happened if it had occurred while I was at the Post Office with my dogs inside or if had been parked in our driveway where the house most likely would have caught fire.

90

well our 2005 well maintained Dodge Ram 1500 with 170,000 miles had been sitting for the last 2 weeks in front of our house not driven. Looked outside and saw light white smoke coming from under hood. By the time I walked out our front door the truck had flames coming from under the hood. Truck was totaled - Dodge response - truck was old...............really - no concern as to how or why it would just go up in flames!

90

Oh here is the photo of 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 on fire

100

Yeah, something is going on. This simply should not just happen.

30

My 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 bighorn w/ a 5.7L 130kmi. Suddenly caught fire while sitting in my driveway last drove 3 days ago. Any poss. reasons ???

90

We contacted Dodge who told us they would send someone to investigate. We received a letter 10 days later from their "arm chair" investigator stating - it was a 2005 truck - may not have been maintained - any factor could have caused it............REALLY how about following through and sending someone to find out WHY? This was not the first time this has happened since others I have had the same issues - class action law suit next!

100

I agree. I got the same "it is not Dodge's fault letter. Seems to be too many trucks catching fire for no reason.

10

Same thing my 2005 Dodge 1500 after sitting for 4 or 5 days just went up in flames for no reason. It had no problems. It was a great truck.

20

my 2002 with the 5.9 magnum caught fire sitting at a stop light. heard a pop noise and fire started shooting out from under hood.

20

my '02

90

Really need to get as many people on board and see if we can file a class action suit. It took Mercedes Benz awhile to step up to the plate and take responsibility not only nation wide but world wide with their recent car fires!!

70

2012 ram 2500 just went up in flames

70

Can't explain why it went up in flames... fire Marshall said it def came from engine... water pump was replaced a few months ago

100

Many Ram's showing up here burnt to the ground for no reason. Mine was well maintained and burnt last January. Dodge had no reason.

70

Has anyone had any luck with Dodge doing anything about this ? I just can't wrap my head around this. Truck was parked for at least 7 hours before the sparks started - just watched security footage and it sparked a few times and then just blew. It appears it started on the drivers side of the engine.

90

I sent documentation to Dodge along with video - their "chair side" investigator stated that our Dodge Ram 1500 was old and may not have been maintained was MR. KON's response from Dodge prior to clearing his desk before his vacation. Here is another - Dodge dealership in Hazlet on Highway 35 burnt down a couple of years ago......cause of the fire we heard back then was Dodge truck in bay area caught on fire after hours. Really would like to get this all grouped together to get as much information about of these fires.

100

I agree. There might be a class action suit to be had. Seems like the dealership in Hazlet would have had something to say about this....

90

It is a DODGE dealership so I don't think they will be volunteering any information on their own. Will continue to pursue this and how many people can document their issues. On another note - I was corrected on the issues I stated above about the Mercedes - it was BMW cars that were finally recalled world wide for just going up in flames.

70

I'm doubtful Dodge will do anything but I keep thinking about people that park them in their garages look at these pictures from our truck

70

Dodge is the one furtherest to the left 2012 2500 Cummings parked for 6 hours prior to this

70

I still can't wrap my head around how a truck that was very well maintained jjst goes on fire. We watched the security footage and there was three sparks and then bam the front end by the drivers side was engulfed in flames within a minute.

90

so I assume there is a police report / fire department documentation on this?

40

My 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 blew up yesterday. I hadn't driven it in 4 or 5 days. It was well maintained and had 120K miles on it. Besides changing the stereo out 18 months ago, it was completely stock.

40

Here's another picture. Luckily I was parked far enough away from my house, and the wind wasn't blowing towards the house.

90

WOW!! Have you contacted Dodge directly to inform them? Dodge needs to address this issue.

90

Yes, you were very lucky it was parked away from the house. Again, documentation, police and fire reports are what is needed for an answer from DODGE as to why their trucks are catching fire.

40

I have a police report. Haven't reached out to Dodge yet. It was a bit of a crazy day yesterday. I've got my insurance coming out to take a look at the truck on Thursday.

90

Well good luck~! Unfortunately for me I did not have fire coverage on the truck - who knew! What bothers me more and more about this is Dodge's unresponsive attitude towards this issue. You would think they would want to try to find out why their trucks are going up in flames. It was not a ONE time thing it is and has happened to several people all with the same story.

40

Thanks, I'll reply back if I make any progress. I tried tweeting at the @RamCares account a few hours ago, and pointed at this conversation, along with pictures & video of my truck. No response yet.

70

I'm so sorry this happened to you - our truck is one pictured above ^^ happened Sunday night - 2012 2500 Cummins - was parked for 7 hours before fire started. It was windy/raining the night it happened. Fire Marshall said it was something in engine driver side - but impossible to pin point exactly what since the entire engine compartment was just obliterated. I live in NY - where is everyone else from?

90

Too many of us on this list with same issues and NO answers or really NO interest except making sure they don't admit their is a problem. I keep reminding myself how lucky we were that the kids were not in the car or it was not in our garage but still a perfectly well maintained - perfect condition truck - goes up in flames..........not normal. @ Shopaholic - l am from NJ

90

@RamCares - do they really?

40

Lol, not yet they don't. I'll give them some time to try and respond. I'm from NJ as well. I forgot to crop the one picture, so you can probably figure out exactly where I live from the firetruck. Might need to edit that...

40

@Shopaholic, sorry to hear about your issue as well.

100

My truck was from Ohio but caught fire in Austin, TX last January. Like you, I was lucky to have not parked in the driveway. Dodge had no response........

70

I've been sharing pics and tagging dodge / ram / Chrysler on instagram - if anyone wants you can follow me and maybe we can get our voices heard if we all do it? I don't know how else to fight an army of lawyers - my instagram is sillymommy8879

I just had a 2003 2500 catch fire in the driveway. The truck was in excellent condition with no modifications. 157000 miles. Something is wrong with these vehicles.

90

I am looking at setting up a survey to put out online for anyone impacted by Dodge Ram trucks that have caught on fire for no reason. It is a shame that Dodge continues to ignore this issue.

40

There's clearly a problem here. I'm traveling for work this week, but was looking at potentially getting a site set up where we can consolidate all of our stories. If I can get it up in the next few weeks I'll let everyone know.

10

SW Pa. A good friends house just burned. 20?? dodge ram in the garage. preliminary reports say the fire started in the engine compartment. I just found this website after typing "dodge truck fires" in google search... I will post more as i find out. seems to me Dodge is going to need to step up to the plate!

100

Agreed. We might need to visit https://topclassactions.com/ and see about a class action law suit

70

We need to get all of us together in one forum for sure !! My husband belongs to a bunch of Ram owners Facebook pages (he loves his truck more than me lol!!) and e just found three more people that had the same exact issue happen to them. Truck parked for hours and then just goes up in flames. Most are 2012-2014 2500's My husband's truck had the Cummins engine. I'm on Facebook if anyone wants to find me - Tracy Cozzolino-Baldi maybe we can figure out how to get all of our complaints to Dodge or get media attention so Dodge will have to address these issues instread of just issuing a letter saying - sorry your truck is just old

40

So much for my insurance company hunting Dodge down. They're offering me $8600 for the loss. They checked recalls on the truck, and while there were three recalls, none of them had anything to do with the engine compartment.

my 2012 1500 went up in flames on feb 19 2018 after letting it run in the driveway to warm up for about 15 minutes, it warmed up alright.

10

I bought a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 2014 last January. The engine caught fire while i was pulling a RV on the I95. By the time we put out the fire too much damage was done and the truck was scrapped by the Insurance. The fire started at the rear top of the engine on passenger side and quickly spread to the driver side. We have no clue as to what caused that.

20

We have a '08 Dodge Ram that caught fire while turned off. It was caught on video and shows the fire starting from the alternator. Dodge denies responsibility. Gotten experts involved who verify the cause was from the alternator. They have also told us they are unaware of any other vehicles where a fire can start when the car is turned off... Very interesting to read this where so many owners have similar problems over the last two years...

90

We also have video and shared it on the Dodge website. Hopefully we can get everyone's documentation together along with police, fire and insurance reports regarding this NON issue according to DODGE RAM.

20

NotAfan17 and Bob Barka...if you all have a minute, can you call me at 504-458-5000? Thanks!

10

I suspect that I found out the cause of the fire in my RAM ecodiesel 2014 last February 7 in Manning SC. It was leaking diesel fuel from an improper installation of the Intake Manifold. When I left home, I had noticed a red liquid (i tought that it was antifreeze) leaking from the area of the Intake Manifold. I had it checked at a garage and the mecanic reported that it was Soap left over from the washing of the engine that they had done a week before when I purchased the truck. I was suspicious because the entire side of the motor including the front right suspension was soaked with that liquid. I think that it was not soap neither antifreeze but diesel fuel leaking from a failiing joint somewhere. I did 1000 miles in cold weather without problems. When I got to South of the Border the temperature was in the 70. I can only assume that the fuel leaked on the manifold and it was hot enough to catch on fire.

70

@andrepatry - the trucks mentioned in this post for the most part were parked for hours. I'm assuming the only way a manifold could catch fire was if it was running or hot ? We may be putting a class action law suit together - I implore those on this thread to contact me asap: Email - Shopaholic8879@gmail.com

70

Here is what the front interior of the can looked like after the fire...

70

Here is what the engine looked like... according to security video - the fire started via Sparks on the driver side of the engine. It was windy and raining at the time.

My step dad was plowing on Friday 3/2/18 Smoke start d coming out of the dash. He jumped out and lifted the hood. Truck engulfed in flames!!!! 2001 Doge Ram

90

@shopaholic8879 - I am on board and will reach out to you. This is insane! Also the Dodge Ram 1500 trucks involved in these fires are listed from 2001 to present.

90

If you go back in the thread of comments to 6 months ago my video shows just how our truck went up in flames.

Appreciate any updates as you receive them. My step dad was lucky to make it out in time. It went up so fast. Adding a picture from inside. I didn't get any engine pictures..

100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2-2IPWL8Lg

100

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/harford/aegis/ph-ag-macton-road-fire-20180305-story.html

90

@Bob Banka I am logging in all these articles to keep timeline of how long this has been going on.

50

So my mom had a ?2015 dodge diesel that went up in flames back in December 2017. I think she had 150-175,000 miles on it. Since buying it, she's had the engine rebuilt plus other issues fixed. Brand new and has broken down many times! Her transmission started acting up so she had the truck towed to the dealer. Dealer ran tests and found that nothing was wrong but there were recalls out but they didn't have the parts to fix them. I'm the mean time she was told it's ok to drive. She drove it home a few miles to her house and it sat a few hours. A family member stopped by to tell her the truck was up in flames! Lost everything in it! Tools, towing gear, etc. Fire dept claimed they could not confirm or deny if the fire was mechanical or intentional. Ins company has denied the claim to fix it stating it is her fault. Her truck is her career as she hauls trailers,etc for work. It's her only means of transportation and now she's having to find local jobs with no vehicle because insurance and dodge are making sure they are not responsible. She has been in talks with a lawyer but being a small town, the lawyers are telling her it's a waste! I hope someone can get a lawsuit or something in the works! These vehicles are too dang expensive to let these jokers not be responsible!

My 2012 dodge ram 1500 2WD Express truck caught on fire on me as well on Wednesday March 21, 2018 @ 9:00 am going to the market for no apparent reason. The front center steering wheel started smoking up on me and led to the engine electrical harness wires on fire throughout my cab and engine. I need to get an attorney. I contacted the NTSB and Consumer Affairs.

10

My parents had a 2001 Ram go up in flames at 3 this morning. It hadn't been touched since early yesterday afternoon. Two other vehicles and a little bit of their house was affected. We were worried about possible arson until I came here.

90

@DanaJaVon - like the rest of us DODGE RAM has no response. Please take photos and document response from Dodge. Working on gathering all this info into one site for all impacted. Need documentation, photos, police and fire reports.

Yesterday at 3:45 I got into my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4W SLT QUAD, hadn’t driven it in about 2 weeks, full of gas, fishing equipment, lawn chairs. It was a little damp, drove down down my driveway, slightly downhill, heard a pop the truck kind of lurched and the engine died. I put it in park. There was smoke rolling out from under the hood. My dog and I jumped out and I looked under the front wheel well the engine was on fire. I tried to put it out with an extinguisher but it was completely engulfed winthin a matter of minutes. I live in the country and by the time the fire truck got there it was too late.