cooling fans stay on and thermostat not working.

Asked by Mar 04, 2010 at 03:34 AM about the 2007 Vauxhall Vectra

my water pump went, since having it repaired cooling fans stay on, and thermostat doesnt work. where is the thermostate and is that why fans staying on?

45

You answered your second question, yes. A faulty thermostat will cause the fans to continue to run to try to keep the temperature down. The thermostat is usually located where a upper radiator hose meets the engine block, or cylinder head. Many times the piece that the hose is attached to there is removable, and contains the thermostat. It is called the thermostat housing. Often times it isn't difficult to remove, just remember the exact way the stat went in, you DO NOT want to put it in backwards when installing a new one. Some thermostats have the gasket built in, some have a traditional paper gasket, some use an O-ring. Consult your local parts store to know which your vehicle has. Hope this is helpful