Engine Management Light staying on

Asked by Aug 15, 2008 at 09:00 AM about the 1997 Vauxhall Vectra

Please could you help me.
I have an 1997 2.0 TD Vectra and the engine management light stays on if I do not keep up the revs.  It seems to go into "limp mode" and can be very dangerous as I have no acceleration.
I have already had the mass airflow sensor replaced and do not know what to try next as the bills are starting to add up.

go to Auto Zone,they will scan your computer for free,it will tell you what the problem is,sounds like to me your Throutle Position Scencer is bad.

235

Getting a scan from murray's doesn't always tell you the problem, it will give you a code and location but if you don't go in and actually test the circuit and system you could be spending a lot of time throwing parts at the problem instead of fixing it. My advice is take it to a good shop that knows what they are doing. Throttle position sensor will cause stalling and low to high idle fluctuations, or just low idle where it wants to stall. Usually it won't cause you to lose acceleration.

hi m8 lot of good advice need first to read what codes are stored but sometimes non the wiser even when had codes read. on past experience most common fault is a vacuum loss. right hand side of the engine on the end of cylinder head is a vacuum pump. if you have the uce of a vac pump measure the vacuum out of this should be about .6-.8 bar on idle and go up to about 1.1 bar when revved if its lower than this vac pump might be a knackered. if that all ok follow the vac hoses (spilts in to three) one boost to boost soloniod vaive then to turbo waste gate one goes soloniod valve then to to swirl flaps on intake manifold and one goes to soloniod valve then to egr valve check alll these hoses for leaks on some of the older models also vacuum used to split and go through heater box to air recirc switch (cant remember what year they stopped doing this though) if all them are ok the as above get it itoa decent garage to cheak it out.