Stalls like rev limiter is coming on after 1/4 throttle!!!!!

Asked by Nov 07, 2008 at 09:37 PM about the 1991 Chevrolet Lumina

I have a 91 lumina and it started stalling while accelerating.  The car runs great but if you give it too much throttle it will start to cut out like its losing spark, if you ease into the throttle it will run fine until you give it too much.  Here is what has been replaced with no change.  ECU fuelpump and relay, tps sensor, map sensor, fuel filter, plugs and wires.  So whats up with this thing any ideas?

7,515

check timing and ensure you have good compression... and we'll go from there... BTW why did you replace all those parts, as in what led you to think they were at fault?

625

The timing on those cars is set by the ECM.

7,515

I stand corrected... Dunno why but for some reason I remember seeing a dizzy on one of those around that model year... oh well...

2,040

Actually it sounds more like you're swapping parts rather than troubleshooting. What you're describing is a typical Cat Converter malfunction. Have you tested it yet? The age of the car would make that the first thing I would have checked. The converter heats up white hot to give the exhaust a secondary burn. When they wear out, they restrict the exit flow of exhaust gases and causes the engine to bog down. That's because the pellets or the honeycomb has fused from the heat and duration. You have two choices; one, go to a quality muffler shop and have it tested. This will cost you some bucks and they will install a new converter. Two, wait until the symptom happens again. At that point, leave the car running and beat the crap out of the converter with a tire tool. If this makes the symptom disappear, you have a bad converter.

2,040

Almost forgot..next time you have a Chevy question, a Chevy forum would work better than a tuner forum.