what problem my car has?

Asked by Nov 05, 2019 at 01:00 PM about the 1998 Peugeot 306

hi.
my car has many problems, it's an imported peugeot 306, it has a diesel, 1.8L
56HP engine, 4 cylinders, so basically, a snail car, it's from 1998, has a semi-
electronic injection system, 5 speed manual transmission and it's pretty much
all mechanical, barely has any electronic parts at all... the car is mostly driven
in a city, where it rarely goes more than 2000RPM.
mechanically, it has 2 problems: need to replace the injection and the head
gasket.
but this is to give some background, the problem I am looking for a cause is
this:
- supposedly, the more you rev the car, the more power it has to climb or get
more speed. my car is different, till 3000RPM it revs, than stops like if it didn't
had more power, but if I put in a higher gear (for example, from third to fourth),
as the RPM drop, the car can rev again (not related to rev limiter, because if I
put the car in a downhill, it will rev till 5000RPM);
- in any uphill with enough degrees (15 or more), the engine seems to start
failing (more like it has hiccups, like if some piston was missing the explosion).
this only happens if I rev it more than 2500-2750RPM, after it hits these revs it
starts doing that, but not before.

so basically, if I stay below 2500RPM the car is fine, but if I try to rev it more
than that or it either loses speed/doesn't rev more or starts having hiccups.
those are the 2 points I am looking for an answer, could they be related to the
injection system?

thanks for your answers.

252,385

Diesels have low end torque and do not like to rev high. I doubt there is much power over 3,000 rpm. If it needs an injection system and head gasket you are lucky it runs at all. Fix those things first and then see how it runs.

252,385

If this is a turbo car make sure the turbo works. With only 56 hp you need to take a Zen approach to hills ;)