how much should it cost to have a camshaft pulley fitted and supplied

Asked by Jun 29, 2015 at 03:15 PM about the 2007 Vauxhall Astra

i own a vauxhall astra twin top design 1796cc petrol and i have had a loud tapping noise
so i have dropped it off at a garage but i think i am being overcharged for the fitting and
supplying of a camshaft pulley

143,425

This is interesting. You go to shop telling them you have loud tapping noise, and they want to replace cam pulley. Makes no sense. Only thing I can even fathom is the pulley has a broken cog, and has jumped time. But that would make it run very badly. Here is DOHC...1.8

143,425

Now SOHC

143,425

I don't get it. But I am by NO MEANS knowledgeable about Vauxhall Matter of fact I would like to learn. We have repair estimate resources but that particular one is not available. Anything you can add?

143,425

.

at first it was a low tapping noise which was only noticeable when i first turned the ignition, within a couple of days it was so loud and it was still making the tapping noise whilst i was driving there was a slight reduction in performance so i checked the oil and that was fine albeit a little low. i was beginning to think it may be my tappits as the noise was definetely from the top of the engine and a lot of the people i asked thought the same. i used to have a really good mechanic who i trusted so im a little wary of the diagnosis and cost

143,425

As you should be- a bit cautious of that diagnosis. Usually a 'tapping' or ' 'clicking' sound is indicative of tappets, followers, or lifters. Can be from overdue oil change, the oil can get less effective lubricating the cam and the lifters. Or a low-quality filter. An oil filter is one of the most misunderstood and overlooked things that can cause problems, especially on the top-end.. valve tappets. I have very little knowledge about the Vauxhall and what that engine uses, bucket lifters....a 'Bucket lifter'' is just what it sounds like. It's a bucket-type thing that fits over the valve spring, and with high-mileage the cam lobe(s) begin to wear, with the bucket that fits over the valve spring...or hydraulic lifters. Now Lilly, I can and will be as much assistance as possible. But please change your avatar. This is not facebook, where that is Ok for conversation and fooling around. We are a reputable Q&A site, and that is not the sort of thing we want here. Thank You