Swapping V8 into my 3.1 RS??

15

Asked by May 06, 2009 at 12:26 PM about the 1991 Chevrolet Camaro

I bought an '99 Z28 recently so I'm now pretty much forced to sell my '91 RS.  However I would love to keep it as a project and throw a v8 in there.  I've thought this over many times and figured it just wasn't worth it given the difficulty and expense and the fact that an older muscle car would prolly make for a better project.  What are your guys thoughts? Has anyone done it? If so how did you go about it? What would it cost?  I love my LS1 but I'll always remember my '91,  it would be great if I could keep it and make it a project.

75

cost is dependent on how fast you want to go. a junkyard 350 goes for about $200. you will also need the motor mounts for a v8, and i think they are placed differently on the k-member, im not 100% sure though. you will also need a larger radiator. now if you have a 700r4 with the 3.1 and plan on using it with a v8, you will need to change the governor because the 3.1 shifts higher. now also depending on where you live, you may not be able to get away with the easy setup of running a carb. in areas with emissions, and some areas without, if a vehicle came fuel injected, it must remain fuel injected. if you have to follow that, then you will need to replace the wiring harness and computer to run a 350. bare bones junkyard minimum, im going to say between $500-$1000

85

I have an 89 RS that was a 2.8 v6 car originally. I converted it to a 350 with a 700r4 and i kept the electric fuel pump in the tank and the electric fans. It was an easy swap i bought motor mounts for an 89 v8 camaro thay are the clam shell type the crossmember is allready drilled for the v8 mounts it has 4 mount holes and you use 3 of them. The half of the motor mount that bolts to the engine can be gotten from a salvage yard . That took care of the engine install then i used a polyeurethane trans mount bushing,torgue arm bushing and transmember secondary mount bushing. I used the factory drive shaft .I got a factory replacement v8 radiator and used a be cool electric fan temp sendor for the electric fan relay it controls the ground of the fan relay coil it cuts the fan on at 180 and off at 175 or close to that. For the electric fuel pump you have to use a regulator if you have a carb and mallory has a return style regulator that is from 0-12psi and it works fine with the EFI fuel pump.I used an edelbrock 600 carb and an hei distributor with msd module and coil.To get the trans to lock in 4th gear you can buy a kit to do that or if your camaro has a 12 volt purple wire on the trans it runs through the brake pedal switch so when you push the brake pedal it brakes the 12 volt.The other 2 wires are a ground for the solinoid and the other for the 4th gear preassure switch you can wire them two together and when the pressure is high enough in 4th gear it ground the solinoid and the torque convertor clutch will engauge and the convertor will lock.You will also need a t.v.cable adaptor for your carb either holley or edelbrock and a throttle bracket that works for t.v. cables for the 700 r4.