Damage to car not covered in warranty

Asked by Dec 09, 2014 at 09:42 AM about the 2007 Nissan Note

I took my 3 year old car with 10000 miles on the clock back to the garage, 4 months after
I bought it because it would not start. I was told  the starting motor was gone but it was
covered in the warranty and would be repaired for the next day. The next day they rang
me and said that the starting motor casing had went into the gearbox and i would have to
pay to fix this as it wasn't covered in the warranty. Does that seem right?

7,250

You purchased a 4-5 year old car and put 10k on it in 3 years (you failed to mention how many miles were on it when you bought it) Apparently you purchased an extended warranty and the failure of the starter is covered but the damage to the casing is not. What was their reason for denying the repair? Did the claim the damage was from an accident?

4,805

It sounds like pure BS and they're trying to charge for unecessary repairs. Since they are the ones holding the warranty I think it's going to be a very uphill battle. When you turn your ignition key, the starter solenoid engages the Bendix, the little gear thing in the starter to push out, engage the flex plate on the back of the crankshaft and spin the engine. The Bendix disengages back into the starter. If whatever they're trying to claim happened, you would have heard a ton of noise.

no it had 6500 when I bought it 4 months ago. It now has 10k on it. They said that Nissan would not authorise stripping the gearbox. There was a little bit of noise when I started it but I definitely wouldn't say a ton. Hate stuff like this.

7,250

I'm confused , the car is a 2007 and you said it was 3 years old 4 months ago. The point is .. if a car is within the warranty period and the damage was not caused by an accident .... why are they denying you the repair?

4,805

That's quite an expensive starter going by what the parts house have listed for your car. At the place I deal with that usually has the best prices, it's $205 plus $80 for the core. I imagine the wholesale price for the unit is pretty stiff also. That might be the motive for their actions... http://api.exigesolutions.com/Pictures/34630/01190262501.JPG

7,250

File a complaint with the service managers name along with a written denial of the repair. Send it to your States attrny general (or whoever regulates car repair business) and to Nissan. My state ..Md. would get an honest evaluation ... and many states would get it too. You need all the specifics before going to battle