Okay so I have a 74 Chevy Nova 350 v8 engine 4 barrel. When I first accelerate ot feels like it loses all power and drops but then it starts going again, but if i were to hit the gas too hard it

Asked by Mar 27, 2015 at 05:45 PM about the 1974 Chevrolet Nova

Will stall completely. It idles kinda
rough, my exhaust does have a big
leak but I dont think it would be a
factor. Fuel pump 6 months old carb
rebuilt same time but im not sure
what the problem is I had the carb
rebuilt because I thought it was the
problem, any help?

38,165

How many CFM are you running? There is such a thing as too much. If you're running 750 or more, that's probably your issue. You may have to go down a couple jet sizes.

Im honestly not sure i had a mechanic look at it because i bought a new carburetor first then had original rebuilt. How would I go about adjusting this, Ive tuned the carb to a spot that has it running alright but still the bogging issue

The thing is it just happened out of nowhere originally after I had my new fuel pump installed.

38,165

So the car was running fine until you replaced the fuel pump? When you got the car was it running great, or barely running?

Ive had it for 3 years was fine maintemance here and there but overall fine one morning wouldnt start (used to be my dd) got towed to shop new fuel pump has had the hesitation since that, is it possible fuel pump is bad

38,165

Have you have the fuel pressure tested yet?

38,165

Did you have a high performance pump before and the shop just put in the old stock pump?

655

Have you ever had a look at the rubber lines that connect the steel gas lines. If they are old they could be cracked and sucking air, there should be a piece by the fuel tank and up near the fuel pump, depending on the type fuel pump there may be a vent line with a smaller diameter hose. Also if you are using a quadrajet those need to be set up so the secondaries open at the right time they also like to be near 100 degrees inside to work right.

I havent checked the fuel pressure yet, or those rubber lines that connect the gas line i will do both my next day off and see. Not using a quadrajet either. Both fuel pumps were stock also