1970 Nova 3-speed, now converted to a 4-speed leaving a hole in the steering column. Can the section be rotated to where the hole is at the bottom of the steering column ?

Asked by Dec 25, 2011 at 09:19 PM about the 1970 Chevrolet Nova

I used a fast cut air saw and cut the shifter bracket of even with the steering column. Then used a file to finish the surface to make it even and smooth. This left a hole approx. 3/4" x 1/2" in the column. I then used fiberglass matting to within about 1/8" of the surface of the hole. Filled the 1/8" remaining area of the hole with bondo and sanded it even with the column and painted the column. Can no longer see where the old shifter was.

55

I would just wait until there was a shifter - less column for sale at a swap meet that would work or buy a new one with tilt... too much messin around for what it is.