I can't get my check engine lite to go off or give me a code. I have cleared the computer several times and even tried 2 other computers with the same part # and my origanal prom...HELP!!

Asked by Nov 25, 2013 at 05:50 PM about the 1987 Chevrolet El Camino

Did you overfill the gas tank? when you retrieved the codes did it say anything about "evap~"? because this is a common problem....you must stop at the first click and do not try to TOP OFF...it's like holdin' baby underwater....system needs to breathe and will take a while to clear this code~ get a 17 dollar tester and read the codes and "clear codes" which will give the option....this one will give you an evaporative error code~...clear codes with this one~

you know a corroded ground connection "brown out" with the ground, which does happen creating a "semi-conductor" layer of corrosion...and must be wirebrushed clean so the system can realize the full 12 volts potential and the steady amperage from the chassis ground~varying amperages can screw with the ECU's ability to make the right decision...NO codes, yet illumination?...that there is a prime example...get the ground free of crud (created by the 300 or more cold cranking amps) goin' through there from repeated demands for the juice for the startermotor~

71,595

Your El Camino is OBD I. You'll need to use a paper clip to get the codes to flash out. Under the steering column, usually to the right is a large kinda triangular plug. Using your large paper clip, with the ignition off, connect the two terminals in the upper right corner together (A & B). Turn the ignition on but do NOT start the engine. The check engine or service engine soon light will begin flashing. It will flash a reference code 12 first, three times. It will appear as flash.............flash....flash. Then a longer pause after the third code 12. Then it will begin flashing out the other stored codes. Three times each. When all the codes have been flashed code 12 will come up again. At this point switch off the ignition and remove the paper clip. OBD I trouble codes are two digits. Such as 44, for example. HTH. -Jim

10

light on no code

10

light on no codes

10

help